Animal Poison Control Hotline: 1-(800)-528-2423 $50 fee [I did not call them].
My dogs or cat ate silica gel.
The silica gel granules found in those dessicant packs in various food packages are not toxic, according to what I've found on the web.
If an animal ingests an entire, intact packet, however, there might be a choking hazard.
The crime syndicate works like this: the cat jumps up on the kitchen counter and knocks things to the floor. Somebody scored bigtime when the plastic jar of freeze-dried salmon dog treats broke.
The dessicant was in a tiny plastic can. Fortunately, the gangsters bit it open rather than swallowing it whole.
MORAL OF STORY: You may think hazardous goodies like cooked bones, cut bones, pork chops, whatever are safely out-of-reach of your DOGS up on the kitchen counter -- but what if they have help from accomplices, like cats or kids?