I would like to share with all of you corgi lovers that if you would really like to give back to the breed you adore it may be nice to seek out your regional corgi rescue group and become a volunteer. In Florida we have already taken in near seventy corgis so far this year. We are always in need of good foster homes, people to help with transport, people to identify and pull from shelters, people to do home visits for prospective adopters and always people to help educate others about our beloved breed. As their popularity rises so does their availability and their "cute" factor does seem to encourage lots of impulse buying with little knowledge about the breed. Sadly many of those youngsters soon are not welcome in their happy home any longer. Many have not received the very necessary training they so richly need, many have become obese and suffer health and behavior problems because of it and some by no fault of their own just are no longer able to stay in their homes. Feel free to take a look at our website www.flcorgi.com There are corgi rescue groups throughout the country. The more volunteers a rescue group has the more dogs they are able to find new homes for.

Views: 2096

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Im not trying to start an argument about shelters, as I've said many times a lot are run very well and have good standards of homing pups.

I will have to agree with Bart/Elvis though.. I tried to adopt a few times before going to a breeder just because some of the rules shelters have are a little far fetched.

I also worked for a shelter that wasn't run well at all... I will keep those stories to myself though.. lets just say they need to upgrade/hire new management.

The last straw trying to adopt was when the guy actually messed with me.. was all ready to drive down there, sign the papers and everything and through an email he said no and gave me some lecture. I have half a mind to email Roxi's pictures to him but I know it wouldn't be worth anything.

I do have friends though that have adopted and are extremly happy with their pups.. so they do work.. I think some of us have just had bad luck/experiences with shelters. It only takes a few bad eggs to taint ones mind on something. As it takes good hearts and great adoptions to keep happy pups :)
I understand how you feel. I worked for the shelter in Gulfport, MS for some time. Fortunately, they didn't act like the animal police. They were very open to finding the animals good homes.

The downside of that are some of the groups that do act like the animal police. They have insane requirements. I have one client who wanted an Aussie pup. The local rescue had a whole litter of them. When he told the "head person" he did not have a fenced yard, but always walked on a leash and had access to a dog park, she turned her back and walked away, refusing to speak with him any longer.

This man adopted from a breeder and the dog is wonderfully happy and healthy. It's a shame the pups from the rescue weren't adopted to him. He would have, and has, made a wonderful pet-parent. I think that sometimes, we who work in the animal business, take it so personally that we don't allow ourselves to think outside the box; outside the "rules" to the heart of an adopter. And it's a shame, really.

The good part is that there are wonderful shelters and rescue agencies out there who are truly working for the animals to find them forever homes where they will be loved and trained properly.
I totally understand where you are coming from. As stated in my reply below, it took a year for us to find a collie. Not because they don't exist in Louisiana, but because the collie rescue was far too stringent. Both of our rescues are animal control rescues because we couldn't meet the requirements of the private rescues in the area.
I've told Lucas a thousand times that if we ever have the money, we're opening up a corgi rescue. The nearest one to us is in South Carolina. Nothing in our area, and it's sad. I'd love to do some fostering once we own a house (we rent right now) and we definitely try to adopt rather than buy whenever possible. (Ein was not adopted but our other two are. It took close to a year for us to find Colleen after we decided that we wanted a collie)
I know that the San Francisco Bay Area Corgi Rescue website is: http://www.ForPaws.org - I've been in contact with them about rescueing my next Corgi... in a couple of years when I have more room. But if any of you are in this area that's the best place to start.
I can see how obesity can be a problem. They're little vacuum cleaners. If the food is there it will be eaten. We had to go with the 2 meals a day after getting Daisy because she will eat till she pops. Ein is a little more realistic about food. He knows it's not going anywhere except now it goes into Daisy's belly if he doesn't eat it. lol! Anyway, we've fostered a couple of corgis. It's a fun experience and it's good to help out the other "cast away" corgis. I definately recommend it!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service