Well, I just came back from a breeder, where I met the most adorable balls of fur!!! If all goes well, I'll be picking up a male red&white puppy in 4-5 weeks, I can't contain the excitement!

I've already been brainstorming names, but most names that come to mind are girl names, so I thought I'd turn to you guys for some suggestions :D

Just a couple of guidelines - I would like a fairly unique name (so no common names like Ein, Gizmo, etc.), and I prefer no human names (like Eddie, Timmy, etc.)

List of considered names so far (vote for your favorites!):

Alfie
Arthur (can be shortened to Arty)
Astro
Banshee
Elver (or Elmer)
Gimli
Iorek
Kai
Niko
Orion (or Arian)
Polaris (can be shortened to Polar)
Rigel
Rocko
Yasha
Yoshi

Views: 236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You might want to look up Welsh names on a website. They would be human, but certainly not common in USA. We had a hard time deciding on a name for Bandit. It seems like a big decision. I had more probs deciding than my hubby, though. ; )
That's a good idea, I'll look around for some Welsh names, thanks!
You're welcome!
Hmm, what are your interests? Any particular favorite works of literature or movies? I've got a fondness for names from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, for instance (we named our cat Pippin).
Hmmm, themes...

I like astrology, so maybe something to do with stars or constellations, or maybe after some scientist? I also like classical music, so something musical could be fun too.

I don't really have a particular favorite movie or book, but considering I like unique names, anything from fantasy / sci-fi would probably be considered :)

Love your kitty's name, I was thinking Frodo, but it got shut down by other family members haha. Why does this have to be so hard :)
I thought Frodo would be great, seeing how they are short like Hobbits, and notorious thieves! Theodin (Theo for short) and Gimli (the dwarf..haha!) are from LOTR too

For Classical music, there is Handel, Gershwin, Brahms, Wolfgang.

For astrology, there is Nikolai (Nicky for short), Orion, Sirius (the dog star!), Scorpius, Leo.

Decker is the main character in Blade Runner, could be good (plus corgis are low to the deck)
Ohhh I like those, Gimli sounds so cute! Sirius would be a funny name, I can see myself turning it into "serious Sirius" :)
When my DH and I were awaiting our puppy we had both girl and boy names picked out. It was so hard to come up with them! I love the name Chip for a boy. I also liked Cobey. I like Mully, short for Mulligan. I tried hard to come up with a name that MEANT something for our family, something to reflect either my Dh as a Marine, myself as a nurse, our religious beliefs or the fact that we love golf, but eventually settled with Kara, my childhood best friend's name. I loved it because it means "Dear Friend", and that's what I was looking for in a pet. Now I am working on the AKC registered name, that's even harder!!!!!!!!
Oh, I like Chip, will add to the list :)
Kara is a great name, that's actually one of the girl names I thought of too.
Good luck with the registered name!
You could look to movies for names. Some of the neatest names could come from fantasy movies like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Chronicles of Narnia. Also Golden Compass would have some original names. IMDB would have the names of characters and such. I chose Lily's name from a favorite book of mine. That is another option, characters that have stuck with you for some reason. I also had in mind for Lily the last names of my favorite actresses. Bacall was my other choice if the family did not want Lily Bart. Good Luck!
Well, I now have a long-ish list of names, who wants to vote for favorites or least favorites :)

I added the list to the original discussion above :)
Great list! My favs are Banshee, Gimli and Yoshi.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service