Greetings everyone!

I have a new corgi puppy coming home in a few weeks and wanted to get peoples opinions on crates. First of all, what is the big difference between the plastic ones and the wire frame models and which is better for my new friend?
Secondly, what size should I get for a male corgi?

Thanks so much for the advice!
Justin

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here you go!
Thanks Sam! This helped allot. Definitely going to look for about a 32". Still have not made up my mind about plastic or wire though. Any suggestions from experience?
If you plan to travel (air) then plastic is the only way to go. I personally like wire, better ventilation. removable bottom tray, makes cleaning easy and smells way better :) we have a wire one, a foldable soft crate and a ultra portable one that we keep in the car at all times. so 3 crates total.
For air travel, can you pay an extra fare and carry on a dog crate?
Is it simpler/cheaper to check the dog in baggage? Is air pressure/temp kept high enough in baggage?
I'm leaving to see Mom tomorrow, Wish I could bring Al.. She would love Al or Gwynnie.
Mom is 91.
Hey John, it depends on the airline, each one have different rules on having dogs in the cabin, usually they don't mind if the dog fit into a shepa type of bag and will allow you to be in the main cabin. However, there are some airlines that only offer cargo only. Yes the air pressure and temp are kept high enough in the cargo area, I have a capt'n / pilot friend who is a dog owner and flies for jet blue, so I've experienced first hand from his buddy pass benefit :) Good luck!
We have a 36" wire crate from Midwest that is foldable, has two doors and comes with a divider. The thread that Sam provided a link for definitely helped me make my decision. Kuma uses his crate mostly for sleepy time and goes in there himself when he's really pooped out. We throw a light blanket or sheet over it to create a den effect. The only thing is that we move his crate wherever we are (living room or bedroom) and it's not the simplest of tasks. However, for the time being, we're making it work (at least we don't have stairs!). It also doesn't fit well in the backseat of our tiny Honda Civic - we have to unfold it, put it in the car, then fold it back up. The hassel is not worth it especially for short trips. We are considering another crate for transportation & travel purposes.

The biggest factor in size of crate was that Kuma's a male, was the largest (chubbiest?) puppy in his litter and the crate has a divider, so if it ends up being too large, we can always section off a few inches if needed.

Good luck with your decision!
Thanks guys! I picked up a plastic one for know so that the puppy will be safer in tha car. I'll likely buy a wire one after he comes home if it seems like the plastic one is not working out well.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service