Hi all,

I'm an MBA student at USC working on a feasibility project for dog parks in Los Angeles. My team is doing field research on public dog parks here, and would love to get some comparison data from dog parks in other states (preferably near cities). If you live in or near a city and have gone to dog parks, please take a few minutes of your time to answer the following questions. Any other interesting information you want to provide would also be greatly appreciated!

1. Where is the dog park you're referring to? (city, state)
2. How often do you go?
3. Who maintains the park? (city, nonprofit organization, private) Is it free entry?
4. What do you like most about it?
5. What do you dislike about it?
6. What MOST important factor(s) do you think make a dog park a pleasant environment (for both you and your dog)? (ex: cleanliness, responsible owners, friendly dogs/owners, stimulating activities, on-site supervision, etc.)
7. Any particular experiences with dog parks-good or bad-that you'd like to share?

Thanks very much! If you have any questions about my project, feel free to message me.

Cathy

Views: 89

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. melbourne, florida
2. once a week
3. the city, it is free
4. the size and it's clean
5. lack of sunshade, tall trees
6. cleanliness, friendly dog/owners
7.no

Good luck cathy! which MBA class was this for?
Thanks, Sam! This is for a feasibility analysis class testing a business idea that my partner and I have-admission based dog park.
1. We have a few to choose from, but our favorite is in Rancho Bernardo, Calif (a suburb of San Diego)
2. We go 2-3 times a month
3. The city maintains it, and it is free to use.
4. I like that there are three separate fenced areas, the availability of fresh water, and the shade trees.
5. The only thing I dislike is the distance from home (about 25 miles)
6. The most important factor for me is responsible, involved owners
7. The best experiences with dog parks is when we meet other corgis there
1. Pearland, Texas
2. 3-4 times a week
3. Entry is free. The City in cooperation with the Rotary Club maintains the park.
4. It is level, so that I can see my dog at all times. The drainage is good so there is no standing water for my dog to lay in or drink and they recently put out shade and benches. It is close to a bathroom. There is a playground next to it so that children can be deposited in a place where they can be supervised by handlers without them actually being in the park.
5. You have to drive through the Park to go to it. It is not mowed often enough. People often bring toddlers into the park, which scares me a lot. :(
6. Cleanliness, followed by responsible owners. I drive 20 minutes out of my way to avoid another park that often has standing water and ALWAYS has irresponsible/unfriendly owners and under-aged handlers.
7. At the park I go to I was across the park putting poo in the trashcan when another dog jumped my corgi. Three owners immediately waded into the fray and broke it up; then they told the owner of the dog that attacked my puppy that he would have to go. <3 to them. This is why I like going to dog parks with lots of friendly, responsible owners.

In addition, I would gladly pay a membership fee to a park if I knew that membership could be revoked if an owner's dog was aggressive and if I knew there were people I could report underaged handlers to and owners that bring small children to the park. Why oh Why do people bring toddlers to the dog park?
Sarah, the separate playground for small kids is a good idea. Thanks for your feedback! It seems like responsible ownership is a great concern, and conditional membership would be a way to enforce that.
1. Parker, CO and Aurora, CO
2. 2-3 times per week
3. The small park is maintained by the city, the other is an 80 acre open space off-leash park that is part of a larger state park
4. Friendly owners; wonderful exercise and socialization for my dog; the state park is huge with lots of trees and a small creek to run in for the dogs that like to swim
5. Potential for communicable disease - no way to know if other dogs are immunized; almost constant presence of unsupervised small children that are easily knocked down by playful or running dogs; lack of fresh clean water; aggressive dogs that continue to return to the park
6. Safety and cleanliness, responsible owners
7. One park offers a free class every spring about dog park safety and responsibility and learning to recognize dog's body language to identify agression, fear, etc. I think that's a really proactive approach. Unfortunately, the people who probably NEED this refresher are not the ones who actually go to it.
1. San Francisco, Ca
2. 3 times/ week
3. The City, yes it's Free
4. Off Leash, have access to the beach
5. Paths are dirty, because of the sand and the area it is in.
6. Definitely cleanliness and responsible owners. I would love turfed area and activities.
7. Nope! Good luck!!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service