I heard someone once say something about pet stores support puppy mills. And how purchasing a puppy from a pet store perpetuates the practice of breeding dogs for profit and supports puppy mills. And that these puppies come complete with papers, pedigrees and (sometimes forged) health certificates. And if I'm not mistaken, puppy mills are irresponsible breeders that massively breed puppies and sell them for a profit?? What is the difference between them and breeders?? If you dont get a puppy from a breeder or a pet store, then where do you get them??

And what happens to the puppies at the pet store, if they're not bought, and they get too big to be in the store?? Do they get sent back to the breeder, and what will the breeder do to them? Are they put to sleep?

This topic really saddens me, and gets me really anxious to find out what exactly is going to happen to these poor animals.

Does anyone have any insight?

Views: 306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's so true. Here we have a store named "Bark Avenue." All they sell are sickly puppy mill dogs. The puppy mill breeders now have a "legit" store to use as a front. I can't even begin to say how many folks have come in PetSmart with those dogs. Several I know have died. People have paid stupid amounts of money because the dogs are billed as being from breeders. One customer recently paid $1000 each for a pom and a pap. Crazy. Please, find a reputable breeder, be patient and pay the appropriate price for a well-bred dog. You'll be more than happy you did.
and don't be picky about getting a pup :) while I wanted a puppy-puppy we got Roxi at a cheaper price because she was already four months old.. if price is an issue look for breeders who do lower the price for older pups.
Unfortunately I bought Wyatt on an impulse from a pet store, I saw him and fell in love with him. I still love him and hes adorable but I will never buy a pet from a pet store again (hopefully, I am a very compulsive shopper), he has a few issues that dont seem to be resolving very quickly no matter what I do or try. He seems to have mental issues, I know it sounds crazy but he does. I also go to the pet store and want to buy all the corgis in the place and watch someday I bet I will do the same thing again and buy from a pet store. All animals need good homes no matter where they come from, I wish more people would adopt.

I also googled puppy mills and I saw a dog that was so abused and unkept that it brought tears to my eyes and I thought about that poor dog all night long.

It saddens me too.
Erica,
When you do decide to add to your family, please remember that dog. It's the bitches and dogs from the mills that are forgotten. Check out the Lakeshore Corgi Rescue site and you can see the results and the dogs they've recently recovered from a mill that closed down.

You have to scroll down the page to see them.

http://www.lakeshorecorgirescue.com/
quote: " I also go to the pet store and want to buy all the corgis in the place and watch someday I bet I will do the same thing again and buy from a pet store."

Please don't ever think you are "rescuing" a dog from a pet store. While you are giving that one dog a good home, you are encouraging the pet store to "order" more Corgis from the puppy mills. It just continues to give them the revenue and profit they need to keep on breeding dogs in horrible conditions. It feeds the machine.

And unfortunately Wyatt's temperament and behavior problems could have been inherited from his mom or dad. Dog's can "go insane" being raised in caged environments without much human contact. Wyatt doesn't sound too bad though...nothing that can't be worked out with quite a bit of behavior modification and training.
I did this too with leon, though I am not normally impulsive about my animal shopping. As soon as I saw leon I fell in love and had to take him home. They told me after I purchased him the next day that he had been sitting there for over four weeks, and how the first week he was in there was a couple who came in wanting to take him home, picked out a collar, leash, toys and everything, and then never came back. It made me so sad. Another lady a little later, saw my mom with him outside the grocery store and asked if that was the corgi who was in the petshop. She told her yes, and the lady made mention about how her kids had been in to play with him a few times. He's ended up being the sweetest and kindest dog I've ever met and everyone who meets him is infected with his happy. I still feel guilty sometimes for ending up getting him at a pet store instead of the shelter like I normally would have. Impulse buys are funny like that. I fully support animal rescues, and that's where we've gotten most of our pets from. Other than leon, the only other pet I've had that hasn't been an actual shelter or rescue pet is my manx cat, but his mother was abandoned, one of those 'followed us home-can we keep her' type things, so it half counts I suppose.

We will go back to that pet shop every so often so he can get a new toys and things and so that the people who work there can see how he's doing. They love to see how he's grown and play with him.
I would warn anyone against speaking out too much about Rescues in their area, though. Be prepared to get bad receptions at groomers, pet supply stores, dog shows and at the park.
I made a comment on a local home owner's association mailing list about our local Humane Society and how they would spray bitter apple in dog's faces if they were barking at their adoption event. (Their rescue dogs, not other people's dogs. ^^;) My canine-oriented life has never been quite the same. I still get nasty looks at the pet supply stores and several groomers that foster for the Humane Society won't see my dog.
I don't mean to reflect badly on rescues, I just mean to say that if you want to do anything in your area, that people feel very strongly about rescues and it is easier for them to side with an organization that is allegedly saving animals, than a lone dog owner.
I can't agree any more about this comment. I worked for the humane society up in VT and the one I worked for did things that I just could not take... Well working at a job you have to vent... and living in vt.. especially in little towns.. everyone knows everyone.. so one waitress hears you in the diner and boom.. your boss is asking you questions.

needless to say i had to tell her how i felt and that was the end of that *shrugs* yes I am happy we moved away from the area lol and well before that my bf had to use a different mechanic since he was good friends with her... oh well.

thats my bad bad story...

I will always say that still you can't judge on one bad encounter. I hope people still adopt and still support these groups even though there are bad apples out there.
My first Corgi I got at a petstore and he was a bit of a loner. My dh and I had just gone online and took the survey at Pedigree website or some such site. The survey was to answer questions about what type of dog would suit your family and Corgis were in the top three of mine and DH list. So we were intrigued and researched Corgis. While out and about one day we went into a petstore and there was Max, he was 6 months at that time. He was a very quiet dog and didn't like a lot of human contact, we called him grumpy pants. Unfortunately LO was an impulse buy from a petstore, having lost Max the previous month I think I must have been a bit down. About 5 years ago we did find a breeder and put down a deposit for Mabel (a corgi), we were sent photos every few days but Mabel passed away at around 6 weeks. We got our deposit back and the breeder seemed devastated. It was quite difficult to find a breeder then. We have a rescue dog named Rex and all my other dogs have been rescue dogs,

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service