I'm going to be brining home a PWC puppy next month and the only thing I have left to buy in preparation is the crate.

My husband doesn't want to buy a puppy crate and then an adult crate, he just wants one (we're engineers, so we can just jerry-rig a divider). The problem is, we've never had a Corgi before, so we don't know what size to get. I know they're a little differently proportioned than most dogs, so I don't trust the tags that say "for 20-30 lb dogs" and that type of thing.

We're looking for a hard plastic crate, and our breeder says the puppy will probably be about 30 pounds as an adult. Does anyone have any suggestions on what size crate to buy?

Thanks!

Views: 35344

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think this answer much depends on your intended use. For housetraining purposes I do like a smaller sized crate. The idea is that most dogs will not eliminate where they have to sleep. If they are to be spending a great amount of time in the crate then I prefer a larger sized so they can move around a bit. I have both the wire and airline type crates. The wire crates provide a much better air flow and the ability to feel more a part of the room as they can see all that goes on around them. The airline crates provide a more den like room but do have a bit of restricted air flow and dont stow away as small if you are to store it. I do have to say that typically the crate I would use for a young pup would not be the same size I would use for an adult dog. You may see if you can find a smaller used crate for puppy times. Used crates are often a great bargain.
Thanks for the info! We're looking for housetraining and den purposes. You have a good point, Sam. If we're planning on sectioning off the back area while we're housetraining anyway, we can still choose one that's on the large side. I live in a temperate climate, so I'm not too worried about airflow. The plastic crates still have plenty of ventilation.
You can buy a crate the size you need and then section off the back part with a box that fits into the crate. Just pull out the box and replace as they grow. For Trunks, we used several boxes before removing them all together. Remember to remove and replace the box if the puppy soils it.

My breeder recommended a Size 300 for a male pembroke and a Size 200 for a female.
Carmen, I'm more concerned with buying one that is too small, rather than too big. What do size 300 and 200 mean? On the pet product websites I only see dimensions in inches.
Sam, are you sure it was 48 inches? According to the crates I'm looking at online an extra large crate is only about 40 inches deep!
Hey Julo, sorry my bad :)! Mocha was laying on the carpet in the "superman" feet out position, so it's 38 inches. He's 5, adult male and 27-8 lbs.
I got rufus a larger crate. it is supposed to fit dogs up to 75 lbs. i know that sounds big, but he needs the room when we lays out in the "pelt" position. it's a wire crate with a hard plastic bottom and it actually came with a wire divider so you can adjust to the dog's growth. it's an awesome crate. it does take up more room than i would like, but because corgis are so long, i dont think it can be avoided. the crate is 36 inches long, and 25 inches wide. hope this helps!
i got both of my pups a medium doskocil crate.. .it is cheep and large enough.. my dogs only stay in it at night and when we are not home and once they are completely potty trained andi can trust them not getting into anything i wont have them in a crate so these crates are 28 inches deep and then there is a medium and a large and an extra large but those are quite big
A 36" crate should be anywhere from "just right" to a little bit too much crate, depending on how long your pup grows. For the 'average' Corgi, a 32" is a good size. I also like Charlie to be able to completely stretch out with his back legs stuck out behind him, even though he only uses his crate to sleep at night.

I would block off the back to make the crate smaller for the puppy, and expand it as he grows, as others suggested.
Ju Lo-

200 is like an intermediate size: For Dogs Up To 23" Height - Intermediate - 32" Length; 22 1/2" Width; 24" Height
300 is like a larger size: For Dogs Up To 26" Height - Large - 36" Length; 25" Width; 27" Height

Sorry, I know there is a brand that uses those numbers can't think of the name off the top of my head.

I don't have the paper from my breeder with me at work, but I'm sure those are the sizes.
Wow, thanks everyone who replied! This has been really helpful! I'll definitely look for a crate that's around 36" long and block off the back end until the dog is housetrained. :)
We just bought a 36" wire crate that came with a divider. I definitely wouldn't go smaller than 30", but we figured the extra six inches couldn't hurt. Good luck! =)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service