So we got our guys with the idea that they would be shown too. The breeder said that Daisy was shown and she did well but wasn't that "into" it. We think Donald would be a STAR though! He dripps with personality. Daisy is just a little quieter (literally). I think I would try again with her though.

My question for all you experienced Corgi people is where should I start with training and preparing to show them. I got something called "Click! Dog Training System" and started reading it but got distracted. I have been kind of using what I learned from books back when I had my Bassett Hound. I know they are a very different type of dog though so would love to hear your input!!

Thanks!

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really depends what you mean by "showing" There are many types of shows including obedience, rally obedience, agility, flyball, etc. Clicker training as a basis can be helpful in all of these. The clicker is used to mark a desired behavior and can lend great focus for training. Depending on which venue you are wishing to persue you need far more that "dripping personality" If you are wishing to pursue the performance venues you need a dog that is a good performer. If you are considering the breed ring you need to have good structure, movement and type. Good luck!
I think Donald would be a good performer...that is what I meant by that. Daisy would probably be better for the breed ring. She has a more "snooty" air to her.

Can you recommend any good books?
I'm not really clear on what area you are interested in showing for Donald: agiiity, obedience, herding, tracking?

Sounds like you'd like to show Daisy in conformation (like on the road to Westminster). :)

Check out the AKC tips for beginners:
http://www.akc.org/events/conformation/beginners.cfm

AKC also has tips for other competition areas. If your breeder sold you show quality dogs, she should be able and have a considerable interest in giving you tips and helping you succeed. She'll want to see her dog's pups to be winning in the ring.

If you're breeder can't help you, then I would expect that there are several training groups in Denver that may offer a handling class for Daisy and whatever type of class you're interested in for Donald. I think hands-on training for show will be much more valuable in this case than any book., however you can find a list of dog showing books at Amazon.com.
Thanks Charlie...that's very helpful. Unfortunately the breeder is very good and would be interested in helping but the situation with her husband is very bad and so she is unavailable.

Thanks for everything I will look into the group. If you think of anything else please let me know.
Oh yes. One other thing. Since your breeder is unavailable to show you the ropes, you should look into joining your local Corgi Kennel Club and your All-breed Kennel Club. Here you will be among other Corgi and pure breed folks who are the ultimate enthusiasts of the show rings and are the breeding experts. Most of these clubs hold a monthly meeting and run AKC shows and trials for points. It will get you into the loop, going to some shows, and hopefully someone can take you under their wing to answer questions and help you start out.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service