Several Corgi Question, in need of answers. Jacksonville FL.

I just selected my ideal Corgi, a young red/white male still sitting at the breeder until 8 weeks of age. I like to think he is as excited as I am to come live with me. I have read everything I can read, as this is my first Corgi pup (actually first dog, other than family pets when I was very young). Even so I have several questions remaining. So let's get right to the business??

1.)I was looking for a yellow corgi, I read that red/white is what I am looking for. The corgi I selected has some black, although the breeder says he is not a Tri and will turn yellow. My vet friend agrees. What do you think from the pic I have posted?

2.) When I bring him home at 8 weeks, how much time should I take off of work to initially care for him and be around as often as possible? I work 8/9 hours a day 5 days a week, I do not mind taking alot of time off at first, and then arranging someone to let him out once a day while I work. Would this be sufficient? Around what age could he last 8 hours at home alone?(in his kennel).

3.) Do you call multiple Corgi's Corgii? Or Corgi's?

4.) How long initially will he cry at night? I know pups cry at night, that is not news, but how long can I expect it, and what can I do to limit his crying?

5.) Once my pup is potty-trained and trustworthy I would like to get another Corgi, so they can keep eachother company while I work, also to ease the stress from caring for more than one pup at a time. Do they like to share a kennel? Or should I buy an additional one? Once they are both equally trustworthy I would like to give them free roam of the house.

6.) I live on the water, and surf every morning. I would love for my pups to accompany. With training would they be intrested in swimming and stay near me in the water or at least on the beach? Also what effects (if any) would salt-water have on their coats, and what additional bathing precautions should I take to a salt-water exposed pup?

7.) I have a male, and to get a pair everyone suggests a male/female pair. Correct?

8.) I read several different feeding articles for the pups, some ranging from leave him in a pool of kibble to feed him a tiny amount 3 times a day. What is the general concensus amongst the Corgi-owners here? To feed a pup from 8 weeks on?

That is all I have (for now). Feels like I am asking alot, but I really want to do it right. Thanks for taking the time to read, and hopefully help me find an answer to my questions. I live in Jacksonville Florida, and would love to meet some other local Corgi's if there are any.

Thanks,
James (and Cheez)

Views: 370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awesome! Thanks!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...