Hi Guys,
I've been visiting this site for months but I decided to finally join and hopefully share my experiences with you all. My husband and I are getting our puppy very soon. We've done alot of research and think we're ready. As much as think this will be a good experience, we're both still haunted by some of the stuff we read/hear. Both of us work 8hrs a day and lunch time is the only opportunity to come home for the first couple months. We know that during the first weeks the puppy goes every 2/3 hours, but it honestly not realistic for us to come home every 2/3 hrs. Other than this issue, everything will be perfect for the puppy. We very responsible ppl, but it just so happens that both of us work. This may not seem like an issue to some of you, but I've been told that we should just not own a dog! Or maybe I should work part time. Is this that serious? I feel like I'm going thru the same challenges I will face when I decide to become a mom and keep my career going.
I will do whatever it takes to make this a good experience for the puppy, but I just can't put my job aside, neither can my husband. Here's some of the few recommendations I've been given, feel free to critique or add in your own.
-Daycare: I can afford it, but isn't this risky in the early weeks, in terms of diseases like giardia and parvo from other dogs? Also, wouldn't this challenge housebreaking routines?
-Limited use of Pee Pad: I was told by a fellow co-worker who was able to raise her dog in a similar fashion. She suggests using the entire crate area, portion off the area you would have secluded with the divider as his potty w/pee pad and leave the other area as his den. Slowly decrease his potty area to the point when its no longer there and he undastands potty is for outside. However, when home we should always have him go outside. Does this make sense? It does to me, but I know there will be accidents and potty training maybe a little off schedule. Thoughts?
-Dog Walker/Sitter:
This seems like the most appropriate option. Get a dog walker for a mid afternoon walk or mid morning. Seems fair, but will probably be the most expensive option.

Let me know what you think !
Thanks a Bunch!!!

Yogi's Soon to Be Mom :)

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too am worried about this part of young puppyhood. I've done housebreaking before, but it was nine years ago. My new pup won't come home until May, so I am really interested in the responses in the meantime. Joy
Yogi,

I just recently in the last month or two went through house training my puppy while working a full 9 hour day (I work a 9/80 work schedule). Here's what I did:

First off, I worked from home the first two weeks (if I hadn't been so busy at work, I would have just used vacation. If you don't have that much time saved up, try taking a week, or at least 3 days). That way I was home in the beginning to make sure that good habits started.

Next, I got a pen and put it in the kitchen (another non-carpeted area would work fine). When I wanted to work, or if I went out, I would put him in the pen, along with his crate, a bowl of water, some toys, and a puppy pad. The puppy pads are made to attract dogs to pee on them. For the most part they worked out really well. Theo wouldn't always aim the best, and often missed the pad altogether, but the intent was there, and since it was on tile, I just wiped the pee up. No biggie. Otherwise, if I was home, I would take him outside every 2-3 hours, plus after playtime or feeding sessions. Sometimes it'll seem like "there's no way he has to go again so soon." But sure enough, he does. Training yourself not to be lazy was the hardest part for me. Hehe.

I was concerned that Theo would think the pee pad was his place to go, rather than outside, but treats make all the difference. Every time Theo went potty outside I would treat him. When he went on his puppy pad, he got nothing (because I wasn't home, or wasn't looking). Now that he's older and he can hold it, he'll hold it until he can get outside because he knows he'll get a treat that way. I tried to phase out the treats a little too early and it really hurt his training. Now that he's about 4 months, and he can hold for for a few hours now, I'll start phasing out the treats.

The only real issues that Theo had in his pen were when I was gone a long time. He'll be everywhere in his pen if I work a longer day than normal. Just make sure that if you're going home at lunchtime that you're splitting your day in two 4 hour blocks. One 3 hour and one 5 hour, in the beginning the 5 hour block might be a bit long for him.

Of course, if you're willing to pay a dog sitter, go for it! Why leave your puppy alone if you don't have to!
I plan on taking two or three days off near the weekend. The kitchen is also where I plan to keep him during the day. I have a few questions. I assume when you went back to work after your two weeks off you kept him in the pen with the pee pads..did he keep to his den area and leave the pad alone? I wonder if puppies end up chewing away at the pads. At what age did he start holding on his own? Do you still use the pads just in case he has to go?
Yes, right now he's at home in his pen in the set up I mentioned, including a pee pad. In the morning he doesn't usually use it because he sleeps when I leave until I come home at lunch time. In the evening he'll usually pee once on the pad (just a little), but sometimes he sleeps then too, so sometimes he doesn't use it at all. On the weekends when I'm home most of the day he doesn't use the pads at all. He's 4 months old right now. His 3 month marker was really a turning point. It was like a switch went off inside him and he could hold it much longer than before. But it's definitely a gradual thing. The good thing is, like Ginny said, it doesn't last longer than a few months, so don't rush it.

For the first few weeks he was fine and never chewed up the pad. Then one day when I left him for a bit too long alone, I came home and he had chewed up the pad into little pieces (and those little bits of cotton go flying everywhere!) and then peed on it! It was disgusting. But that was only one time. He'll still chew it up sometimes, but just the corners. One time he managed to move the pen across the floor a few inches, so he got the pad that was by the back door into his pen and chewed that one up (the other he still used to pee. Hehe.)
This is definitely one of the hardest aspects of puppy parenting. But let's get real, LOTS of people have dogs and work too. Yes, the first couple of months are hard, there's no doubt. A lot of sacrifice has to be made to reorganize your schedule to attend to new puppies needs, but puppies grow up fast and before you know it, they will be able to last through the whole day. Baby puppies, like baby people, sleep a lot during the day. A decent size crate or gated area with a puppy pad and lots of towels that can easily be washed will be ok for several hours. Throw in some fun toys and chewies and puppy is all set. If your husband can come home mid-day and let the puppy out, give him some food and change the puppy pad, it's really not so bad. I'm lucky that I can take my puppy to my dad's house a few times a week. He's got a great yard and another dog, so she plays hard on the days she is at "Grandpa's" and then crashes the next day. I think a lot of people use doggy daycare like that. You can't afford to take them every day, but a few times a week really lets them get out some energy and they're calmer on the days that they are at home. I wouldn't recommend taking the puppy to daycare until 5 months, once they've had all their shots and been well-socialized with lots of other dogs. When you are home, you can give puppy lots of attention and affection and exercise, too. Ginny is almost 5 months old now and can stay crated 5-6 hours without any accidents. She goes through the night now too. In a perfect world, I'm sure we'd all love to stay home with our babies, but for many of us, that's just not an option, but it shouldn't keep you from having a wonderful, loving pet.
Thanks for your advice. It was difficult finding a breeder to listen to our story and see us as compatible parents, since we both work. ALOT of ppl gave us a hard time and I'm thinking to myself..does every household in America have someone at home during the day? However I totally understand where they're coming from, but the issue shouldn't be so black or white. I'm sure there are several ppl out there with alternatives to solve this issue. Maybe someone should write a book. I'll definately buy it and so would countless other working pppl !!
In a perfect world we would all like to be home to raise our pups. I have raised many while working and while I dont think it an optimum situation I dont have any other options. I know many folks that do a great job if they are dedicated. It will generally take longer to housebreak a pup when you are not home. Some pups will use the "pads" others just destroy them. That you will just have to wait and see.
Taking a young pup to a day care is not safe. Too many exposures and very small to play with rough and tumble dogs. I leave the radio on for my guys when I go. Leaving interactive toys helps too. A kong toy filled with yogurt and kibble gives them a good work out. Toys that have sounds, roll and have different textures are also helpful.
Most important is the quality of time you spend with them. They can learn some simple commands at a very young age. Sit and come are two biggies. Spend time learning to walk on lead, play fetch, early grooming sessions, cuddling and loving your pup. Start looking for a training club in your area for training classes when he is of age. Start checking out the area for recommended veterinarians. May do you well to find some folks that have friendly and respectful dogs to walk with. As your pup grows do lots of socialization and exposure to different environments. If weather permits take them with you.
Yes raising pups (and children) is quite demanding when one works. One must be dedicated, have some creative thinking powers and provide the best outlet for training and exercise you can. Good luck with your pup.
We had somewhat the same issue with our new dog, though she isn't a puppy. We rescued her from a shelter and she is estimated to be about 2 years old. We first kept her in the crate while we were at work and came home at lunch to let her go out. She must have been somewhat crate trained before, because she never really had any accidents in the crate, even though we would have to sometimes leave her for a full work day. Just this week we put up gates in the kitchen to let her have more room. She has escaped twice, but never any accidents! Our main concern is that she chews up everything in sight - that's her main problem. I hope once she is an adult, that the chewing and rummaging through trash, etc will stop.

Good luck!
I use a method similar to JuLo and have a pup similar in age.I took a couple of days off and then my husband took a couple of days off. I like having a little more space for the puppy and have trained all of our dogs with a pen and crate. The pee pads did not slow the training process down, but did give the puppy a guilt free spot to relieve himself when necessary. I don't like using just the crate during the day. I personally think more space is advisable. Both my husband and I work full time. My husband comes home over lunch to let the gang out and when he can't we have someone come out to the farm for us. I would hold off on the doggy day care until the pups are older and have a good grasp of potty training as well as completed the first set of shots and are coordinated enough to handle rough play. when possible I will also bring the pup to the office with me. Not always practicle, but it is excellent for socialization. This only happens once or twice a month. Friday Brodie has shots so he will come in with me. A dog walker sounds like a great idea. I would think if you are able to come home at noon then a walker in the afternoon would be great. I can't imagine life without dogs and working part time is not even a remote option for me. I know I curtail my social life a bit because of the pups, but I get so much from them that it isn't a sacrifice. We just do things that allow us to bring the dogs along. If you are committed to the pup you will do great and so will your puppy. I've raised my two (human!) girls and in some ways the decisions are the same--just not to the same extent. Just the fact that you made that comment tells me that you are taking this responsibility seriously and will do a good job. Good luck to you!
I'm in the same boat. I'll be getting my puppy over the weekend and I have 3 weeks left grad school. BUT this was THE puppy for us and it is only three weeks. And I think we can make this work.
Right now I go to my internship 3 days a week and that is SUPER flexible, so I can come home for a bit and let him out at lunch and come home early in the after noon. Tuesday is the only day I'm worried about because I have 10 hours of classes. My husband can come home at lunch and let him out and then he is home at 5pm, so that should work. But that's only for three weeks and then I have a month off.
It is frustrating that breeders don't offer some support in this area. Not that they should offer to come over and let the baby out, but just provide some ideas.
All this advice is great though. I think I'll use the pee pads for the first 3 weeks, just to be on the safe side and treat when he goes outside.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service