Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone was interested in planning or wanted to throw ideas out for this years corgi picnic.  It's been awhile since Carter has seen anyone of you guys and I know he misses his corgi buddies =D

~~Please send some love to Christina.  She planned last years picnic and is unable to continue to plan due to health issues.~~

Here are some of the ideas that have been thrown out there

- Freeport (Freeport Doggie Website) is where we had it last year.  We could do the same thing last time and do like a potluck type thing.  I don't know if Mike & Lisa wanted to plan it again.

Wasn't sure if you guys wanted to go to the same place.  I found a dog park in Hoffman Estates (Bo's Dog Park).  I've never been there but the park looks nice.  I'm not sure if they have day passes though and if they would let us have the picnic there.

Just trying to throw ideas out there. Let me know what you guys think or if you want to plan it =D

Hope to see everyone and their corgi's soon!

Views: 1629

Replies to This Discussion

Its not the fact of being sober its that all of the girls are staying the night here and I dont have a clue what time people are going to be ready to leave.  That day is also my fiance and I's 2 year anniversary.  So that weekend wont work for us.  Ill do as much as i can over the weekend but today is my fiance's bday so I dont know what he wants to do

I don't know if this park is close or not to where you all are but what about Prairie Wolf Dog Exercise Area - 'Best Dog Park' in lake forest, illinois

I just looked up illinois dog parks and this is one. don't know if it has eating area but it does have drop box for daily permit. maybe someone else knows......?

I found that once already.  Check it out more closely.  There was some reason I threw it out of my list, but I have looked at so many I can't remember.  Make sure it is not the one that had barbed wire.  One that I thought looked really good mentioned that on one of the sites I went to.  I won't go where they have barbed wire.

Dog Exercise Area Locations

Duck Farm Dog Exercise Area
Independence Grove Dog Exercise Area
Lakewood Dog Exercise Area
Prairie Wolf Dog Exercise Area

you've probably already checked into these, but just in case....

I am hoping someone, anyone, can tell us where they take there dogs!!!  PLEASE!

Yes...  I checked these out a couple days ago.  They are all part of the same group.

Lake County Forest Preserve.  All of these charge $10 per dog.  A bit expensive, but OK.

I liked that these had drop boxes for the fees right in the parking area.  That makes it easy.

"Self-pay stations are located in the parking lot of each exercise area. A daily permit allows one day's access to all four Lake County Forest Preserve Dog Exercise Areas. Fill out the specified form, drop a copy with your payment in the locked box and attach the completed permit to your vehicle's rear view mirror. Exact cash or check required."

One problem is the DISTANCE.  Duck Farm is about 8 - 10 miles from the Wisconsin border.

I believe the one that is farthest south is Prairie Wolf and it is about 22 miles from Wisconsin.

These are tough for the people not in Chicago.  (I am willing to drive it, however.) However, I thought we were trying to find something more centrally located.  Isn't that why we threw out Freeport?

Lakewood Dog Exercise also said that a portion of there park was going to be closed off due to drainage problems earlier this summer which may or may not be finished. 

From what I read and mapped the best bet would be Prairie Wolf Dog Exercise Area.

It is near Lake Forest.  It said it had a restroom. I am not sure about the picnic area.

It is HUGE and muddy from what the reviews said, but luckily there are 2 smaller dog area so we can find all the Corgis if we meet in there.

It has good reviews...  http://www.yelp.com/biz/prairie-wolf-dog-exercise-area-lake-forest

BUT, who lives near there to check it out? 

Anyone want to call them?  (847) 367-6640

I am going out of town for a 3 day weekend, so won't be around to deal with that stuff.

The location is a problem due to how close it is to the lake and Wisconsin.  It is far for the people that don't live in Chicago.  Otherwise, it sounds OK.  Again it is $10 per dog.  We need to know about picnicing.  Are there tables?  I saw there were benches to sit, but no mention yet about tables.  If we picnic, we could get by.  If we potluck, we need tables to set the food on.

Welcome to Illinois Corgis and THANKS so much for letting us know this. 

I see you live in Chicago, so it is easy for you to get to.  I was hoping we would find a place farther west & south to make the drive a bit shorter and more fair to the other Illinois residents. (Plus the one that is coming from Iowa.)

We can all bring lawn chairs and sit if there is not enough picnic table space.

Sounds like we would not have to call this place ahead to make arrangements since they have the drop boxes in the parking lots.  What do you think? Since you have been there I thought you might have an opinion on that. 

The rules are online here...

http://www.lcfpd.org/preserves/index.cfm

I knew they had drop boxes and such when I read about it on line before.  It was tables and such that I didn't know about.  But, YOU are our eyes since you have been there.  I also realize they won't like food in with the dogs, but is there enough area outside there (not too close to the cars) where we could eat?

Are the tables in an area where we could set up food?  Is it shady there?

If you call them, ask if we can set up a couple ez-ups.  A few people said they had one to bring.  Then we could set up picnic stuff there.  If it is shady enough in the picnic area, we may not need them.

Thanks again, Gracie.  We needed someone who knew the area to step up and fill us in on the park.

One of my students took his dog to Bo's he said there's someone there for paperwork and passes. He will give me more info his next class

Back on Page 6 of this discussion, Bo's got thrown out because there was no place to picnic and they wanted not only shot records (one shot I am not sure my dogs have) but they also want a current fecal test. 

Here is part of that discussion...

"In order to get into the park we do need to show paper work to show that all dogs are up to date on all vaccines including Rabies, Distemper, Hepatitis, Para Influenza, Parvo Virus, Bordatella, Leptospirosis, and a current negative fecal test. Inside of Bo's there isn't any human food allowed so we won't be able to have a picnic. "

After that we looked into Naperville.  That is out. 

Now we are looking into Prairie Wolf Dog Park unless you know of a better place that has not been rejected yet.

He's gonna give me more details for it. They had a family member visiting them with their dog and it didn't seem like a big deal for them. I asked him to check for some where you could hold a picnic. 

If I'm gonna drive to Wis I might as well drive to freeport =/

I LOVE the idea of Freeport, but others said it was too far.  I wrote to Freeport as well and they not only said they would like to have us, they wanted to know how many tables we wanted and that they would make sure to set them up for us.

Here is their info to me....

Hello Lisa,
We would look forward to your group coming to our dog park. You are
correct, the daily pass is $5.00 per dog and available upon arrival. Of
course all dog vaccinations should be current, current rabies is a
requirement. If a tag has become lost but proof of vaccinations is
shown, that is sufficient. A picnic sounds like great fun, how many
tables would you need? If we know in advance we will locate them in an
area for you. Children of any age are always welcome if supervised.
We hope you will once again hold your event here with us at Friends
Forever. Let me know of any further questions you may have.
Thank you,
Carol
--
Friends Forever Humane Society
966 W. Rudy Road
Freeport, IL 61032
815-232-6164
www.friendsforeverhs.org

I leave tomorrow morning and will not be near a computer for 2-3 days.

If Gracie gets info about Prairie Wolf Park, a decision should be made whether the group thinks that is the place to hold the picnic. 

If it is to be September 11, we need to get the info together quickly so it can be posted.

Potluck or picnic?  Potluck everyone brings food to share.  Picnic- bring your own food.

Whichever... I think everyone should be responsible for their own table service and drinks.  That just mades it easier and no one gets stuck with more responsibilities. 

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service