(2007)I don't have any ID microchips in my corgis, was wondering if anyone out there has done it before.

(2009 update) I've since taken all my foster dogs to get chipped. It's cheap and the procedure is fast :)

Views: 1098

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, it is a great thing to do. Both of ours were microchipped before age 1. A word of caution, Pan's breeder told us that microchips can move around in small puppies, so you should wait until after they are 9 - 12 months.
I haven't had Gonzo microchipped but I have thought about it off and on. My concern is that there are different brands of microchips, and I read that if a vet or humane society doesn't have the scanner for that particular brand, they can't figure out who the dog belongs to. The last I heard, they were trying to design scanners that will read all chip brands. Does anyone know if there is truth to this tale?
I also read that a chip "reader" will only read for the corresponding brand of chip. If your animal isn't turned into a shelter or vet with a "matching" brand of scanner to your brand of chip, the dog's information doesn't show up. My vet wanted $75.00 to chip. Charlie is under my nose almost 24 hours a day since I work from home. I decided against it for now. Hopefully Charlie will never be lost. If he is, my phone number is on one side of his registration tag, and my veterinarian's number and tag ID is on the other side.
This is not the case. The chips that PetSmart inserts do use a different frequency then the chips that Avid and Home Again sell. Sadly many PetSmart chips would not be read at a shelter. I have an Avid scanner and it scans both Avid and Home Again chips.
Sometimes Humane Society and SPCA functions offer a microchipping clinic. You could get a chip at a great savings. Keep your eyes open for dog events in your area. They are lots of fun too!
our 6 month old came microchipped from the breeder and we had to send in our info after we got him. and our little girl hasn't been chipped yet. the vet said he would do it when she gets fixed that way she's not awake. it's highly suggestable in case your dogs were to ever get out and someone tried to claim them as theirs or something.
Lizzie was microchipped when we had her spayed, Fergie is 7 months and i have not had it done yet, but we will be getting it done. The new puppy will be microchipped when we go pick him up. I think it is a great idea, especially if you travel with your dogs.
Lockett is microchipped. It costs us $40 and we had it done when she was spayed. We filled out the paperwork and mailed it in. I then got an email with the information to go online or call a number to update our information in case we move or change numbers, etc. She stays outside during the day with her collar and id tags on, but we take her collar off when she comes in when we get home. She does not like wearing her collar so the microchip is just a precaution.
I have a Microchip, and was planning on "chipping" my Max. I have chipped my goats for several years now, and the only "problem" I have noted is that when you insert them between the shoulder blades, they might "migrate" elsewhere. For my goats, I like to put them in the tail web....

Rebecca and Max
Our Millie is a rescue dog (from a Corgi rescue organization) and they had a chip embedded in her before we could take her home. It's between her shoulder blades and she seems to be oblivious to it.
I can't imagine not chipping my kids! It's a network that will always be there if I need it. My kids are so cute I think everyone would want to take them home. I worry about that all the time so atleast the chip gives me some relief.
I've had no problems as a result and I'm always on the alert to it.
I feel the same way about others wanting to take my baby home with them . People stop there cars to tell me Brynn is beautiful all the time . I was afraid to leave her in the car the first time we went to the grocery store even tho she was in her crate .
Definitely!

I thought I'd never need to, but Gizmo proved me wrong.

While walking her a few weeks ago, a pit bull was off his leash and chased her down when she slipped out of her collar. Luckily, she knew where home was and ran straight to my front door. It sure made me thankful, though, that I DID have her chipped, just in case. It didn't cost much (about $50) and it makes me a little more comfortable knowing she's always got some sort of identification.

Oh.. and make sure you have a collar that FITS :)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service