(2007)I don't have any ID microchips in my corgis, was wondering if anyone out there has done it before.

(2009 update) I've since taken all my foster dogs to get chipped. It's cheap and the procedure is fast :)

Views: 1093

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sadie isn't yet but I think that when Rolo goes to have his little "snip snip" they will both get chipped.

On Animal Planet, they mentioned that most of the chipped dogs turned into the shelter only had an id number of where they were chipped, but no owner information... making it harder to figure out who the owner is. Apparently earlier releases relied on the owner sending in the registration information for the chip and while they chipped their dog, they never notified the company with their recovery information. EEEK!

Not sure what company they were talking about, but I suggest if they give you a card, don't sit on it like we all do for small appliance registrations - or shove it in a drawer or file and forget about it.

FILL IT OUT... MAIL THE CARD! Otherwise, the chip like having a collar that reads " Rover Smith, Anytown, USA"
Yes, I have all three of my Corgis microchipped. . . .realistically, my theory is the chip is ONLY valid if the finder of the pet takes him/her in to have them scanned to locate the true owner. . .if they never take them in, you'll never get your loved one back. . .at least that's how I see it???. . .but for my own sanity, I decided to do it. Hopefully, if I ever lose one, I'm hoping the person is considerate enough to take them in. . . .besides, the old cliché, it's better to be safe than sorry. . . .
Lance is microchipped, the breeder put the chip in before we brought him home.
nope, it costs too much for me right now, maybe some day.
I was really surprised at how inexpensive it is when you have it done with spay and neutering. Rolo's chipping will only be 35.00 extra.

Made his appoint and it's the Friday after next. I swear... he *knows* something is up.
Yes, I do have a microchip in my Corgi. I alos have one in my Border Collie too.
We have all three dogs and both cats microchipped. The ones done at the vet are Home Again, and my shelter pets have Avid. It gives me peace of mind. One of the cats has gone missing, so I was just on the phone with Avid yesterday. They were very helpful and made sure all of our contact info was up to date. Still no sign of kitty, but it's good to know that if he ends up at the shelter, they will know who he belongs to.

We did visit the shelter today to double check for the kitty, and we saw a pure pembroke there. Poor little guy looked so scared. He was wearing a harness, so it looked like he escaped from a lead. Luckily his ID card read "claimed", meaning his family knew he was there and were coming to get him. I was happy his family was coming and was hoping they would get there soon. It's so hard to see all those doggies in the shelter, but corgis are the most heartwrenching for me. Good thing the shelters are there to collect our beloved wayward ones and keep them safe until we can get them home again!
It was a last minute decisionbut, I had a microchip put in Hello Kitty quite awhile ago at the last shot appointment. It was quick and painless.
Sadie has a microchip too. I had it done when she was about 4 months old. Cost was only $26, so cheap insurance. The needle they use is rather large so it is a big ouch - but only for a second or two. My vet and her tech actually suggested I leave the room. Probably more for my benefit to not see the injection ( and I even work in a vet clinic, but mostly large animals) but also at such a young age not to leave an impression on her of me and something bad all in the same place. Not sure if that's reasonable or even possible for her to make the connection. But as soon as I opened the door and walked in they were feeding her treats and all was well with the world. I only wish the microchips had GPS in them also. Yes they would cost quite a bit more but then you could find them anywhere not just if a vet or humane society would scan the animal, like if the dog was lost or stolen.
GPS. . .what a concept. . .I would definitely be interested in that. . . .
Planning to have my corgi microchipped when she is spade in a couple of months. Don't want to do a separate shot. She absolutely loves going to the vet and I really want to keep it that way!
Good Morning,
All of our pets (two cats and Bunny, the corgi) are chipped. It's very reasonably priced to have your pet chipped - about $40.00 at the vet. The chip is the size of a grain of rice, and there are two companies in the US that sell chips. Both types of chips can be read by a universal scanner and usually vets, animal shelters, etc. have a scanner.
Our dog, Bunny, had a chip when she came to live with us though the breeder who had her didn't know it. If this is your situation, you can contact the company for the chip and they will tell you how to register your pet to you. For us, Bunny's chip was registered to a vet clinic in Oregon, though not registered to a particular person. We're paying a small fee - $17.50 - to have her registration transferred to us and our contact info.

If you ever move and change vets, the best thing is to keep the vet's office and chip company updated on your contact info so that if you're beloved is ever lost, they can contact you.

Happy to join the group. Cathi

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service