Collars don't work for my boys. They slip out of them very easiliy and I don't want to choke them by making them any tighter. Does anyone have any suggestions as to type/brand of harnes I should use?

Views: 564

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Martingale! Sidney wears a regular buckle collar with his tags all the time. His leash is attached to the martingale and we just slip that over his head when we head out the door. Quick, easy and safe :)

We use a halti harness, which is to help with pulling.  The new mesh harnesses are nice too.

I had to get a harness for Brodie because he tried to strangle himself with a choke and could slip out of a regular collar in seconds. I got the Cesar Milan style step in at Petco and LOVE it. It works so well for him, that we went back and got one for Kadi. Everyone warned about the pulling thing, but I've not had a lot of trouble, because when they do pull, I know it won't hurt them for me to correct them with a good yank and firm 'NO'. Now the only time they pull is when they are in a huge hurry to get in the house and their brains fall out. LOL Seriously, they do very well with them.

Glad the harness works well for you, just be careful with the "good yank" as this puts torque on the  hips and leg joints.

Never had to really yank too hard or often. Now they both come along when I kiss to them. Brodie will now even just stand and watch a squirrel or rabbit instead of running full force at it. But glad you posted that info because not everyone will be as lucky as I was with my two. It was actually the pulling issue with Kadi that made me switch to a harness for her. My son is the one that leads her mostly and she was pulling so much I was afraid she would damage her trachea. Now she rarely pulls at all.

My Randy seems to have a possible problem with reverse sneezing/coughing which may involve collapsing trachea.  He is also a bad tugger and I am not a good trainer.  Anyway, I just got him a new "Top Paws" harness.  It has the v shape under the neck so is not tight around his neck.  They also run a little large so in their brand, a medium was good for him.  Most brand's mediums were too small for him since he is somewhat large.  I just got a head collar which I hope will help with training.

Our trainer who has Belgian Tervurens, turned me onto White Pine collars. It's a limited slip/martingales. It's strong, lightweight, and very soft (gentle on the coat). They developed them for their Samoyeds. :)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service