Is your corgi loose, crated or seat-belted when driving in your car?

The corgi car discussion made me wonder how all the corgi lovers drive around with their corgis in the car? Do you leave them loose riding shotgun or with the kids in the back, placed in a doggie seat belt apparatus, or in a crate? I drive a Honda Accord and mostly Lilly is loose(leash on) with my girls in the back seat. She also loves to put her front feet on the center console and look out the windowshield. Occasionally she curls up in the passenger seat. She is never allowed on me when I drive. Sometimes I feel like that is being a bad mom and I'm thinking about setting up a seat belt thing. What do all of you do?

Views: 1485

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, fire dept took FOREVER to get down to us! I think everyone on our road called - those with cell phones get transfered from one county to another and finally to our department, what a mess! Luckily, we have a land line and were the first to see and call - we had a direct view. We at first thougt it a house, it was ONLY a juniper, but they go up fast and hot, it could have gone from tree to tree all the way down the canyon to the BLM land and back around on our sde. It really is scarey out here in Central Oregon - we did have a fire out here 3 or 4 years ago and it was a mess with only one way out - there used to be a sortof second road out that some agency in their wisdom closed.
The fire dept waited for everyone to get to the dept and then broght every truck in the place - my husband and the residents from down here are going to meet with our new chief to let him know that they should bring one truck with the resident fighters and then dispense the rest of the trucks!! As it turned out, we did not need all the trucks, but by waiting, we might have needed county wide trucks. As far as the dogs, we plan to shove them in the car, they hate it, but too bad, and put the cat in a back pack since her carrier which she hates is on loan if we ever have to go again.
Today is so boring! we had also had wild turkeys in our yard at dinner time last night so the evening was full of excitement. we luckily have friends about 30 miles away who would put us and the pets up - they hate all cats but ours!
Carol again with more info. come to find out, good thing I did not jump on any desks! The fire dept is all volunteer, I guess I do remember that, it's the paramedics that are there. So...they had do wait for ALL to come before sending everyone. Bad policy if you ask me - they didn't. I think I will talk to my friend who is on the board. Well! the fire dept was just down checking on things and Mike talked to him about sending out a first responder truck, we shall see.
Glad to know everyone is okay. You have great friends.
On my way to my mom's from my friend's house ( 2 hours apart) I saw a black lab-ish looking dog laying on the side of the road. It made me sooooo sad. I am definitely going to have Kota strapped in all the time.

I am fully fully fully against animals being allowed loose in a vehicle. It's one of my hot button issues actually and I feel it should be illegal to have your dog in front seat, especially your lap - no matter the size. As others have pointed out, there's the concern of you, your occupants, and your pet's safety should there be an accident; but there's also the concern of distracted driving (reacting to something your pet does or taking your eyes off the road to look at your cute fur baby, etc). Additionally, letting your dog stick his head out the window can hurt them if debris gets into their eyes or face. I've seen the crack and chip a rock can do on my windshield, would I want my dog to experience that?

The American Kennel Club also recommends keeping dogs in cars restrained in a crate or harness attached to a seat belt.

I was in a car accident in high school because a man had his dog running loose in the car and it got in his way. Not only so my step-father's truck totaled, I still have knee problems where I collided with the dash of the truck console - and that was a good ten years ago. The man in question, ended up having his license seized and I believe he may have also lost the dog too (as in taken from him, pretty sure it didn't die). As it was the dog was hurt during the accident, and hurt the driver as a projectile.

The American Automobile Association recently released a survey that said 56 percent of pet owners drove with their pets at least once a month but only 16 percent used any type of restraint, such as a harness or a crate. Drive-time activities with the pets included:
Petting: 52 percent
Restraining pet while braking: 23 percent
Keeping the pet out of the front seat: 19 percent
Reaching into the backseat for pet: 18 percent
Allowing the dog in the driver’s lap: 17 percent
Feeding the dog: 17 percent

Facts About Pet Restraint and Auto Safety
In a vehicle collision, an unrestrained 60-pound pet becomes a 2,700 pound projectile, at just 35mph.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 3331 people lost their lives and over 387,000 were injured in accidents involving distracted driving in 2011.
Pet travel has increased 300% since 2005. The American Pet Products Association (APPA) reports that approximately 78 million dogs reside in more than 46 million U.S. households; and a Kurgo/AAA study (2010-2011) revealed that nearly 60% of respondents had driven with their dogs at least once a month while only 16% used any form of pet restraint and almost 30% of the respondents admitted to being distracted by their dog while traveling in the vehicle.
Unrestrained pets delay emergency workers' post-accident access to human occupants, since frightened and/or injured pets may attack or bite first responders and rescue workers.
Pets may escape the vehicle and may even run into the roadway, posing a danger to themselves as well as those who must chase them.

"A slam on the brakes at 30 mph means a 50 pound dog could lunge forward with a force equivalent to being pushed by almost nine 170 pound men, safety researchers have calculated. The American Automobile Association (AAA) estimates pets moving about in cars as the third worst distraction while driving. A recent survey by the Royal Auto Club found that nearly all drivers who traveled with their pets had been distracted by them at least once, and about 11 percent of those drivers admitted the distraction almost caused a crash."

If you didn't know several states have passed laws against a free-roaming dog in the car and several states forbid dogs in an open bed truck/vehicle. "In Massachusetts, it is against the law for an operator of a motor vehicle to allow anything in or on the vehicle that "may interfere with or impede the proper operation of the vehicle…"" Also, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, California, Maine, Oregon, Washington, Florida and Rhode Island restrict dogs from trucks or open vehicles.

Always check with your state about the laws regarding pet restraints, and check often because laws do get updated and changed. God forbid, you are in an accident, your hurt, a loved one is hurt, and/or your dog is hurt - and then the police cite you for negligent/distracted driving.

Here are some links about discouraging loose dogs and potential state laws:

http://www.cesarsway.com/community/pet-travel/Dog-Is-My-Co-Pilot#ix...
http://www.mspca.org/programs/pet-owner-resources/living-with-pets/...
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-06-04/vehicle...
http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/dog-safety-laws-vehicles-3595.html
http://www.pattins.com/insurance-blogs/93-avoid-driver-distraction-...
http://www.care.com/pet-care-driving-with-dogs-distractions-or-much...

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service