You'd think a couple that has a Corgi and wants to rescue another wouldn't have an issue trying to get a Corgi, but we are. I feel like I am trying to secure a Federal grant...

Views: 1055

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most generally if a dog is in rescue, there is a reason. That is why people who rescue them have such requirements. The idea that if you get a rescue it will be an 'easy and trained' dog is not the case. The 'easy & trained' dogs don't generally end up needing rescued. Most of the dogs who need rescued are scarred from all sorts of bad experiences and often take months or even years of intense work and commitment to help them live normal lives. That is why rescues have strict requirements. If a rescue places a dog easily--beware of them, because they probably aren't really a rescue.

As for pet stores, you are supporting puppy mills and most likely getting a puppy with all sorts of inherited defects and health issues. If you really want an adult dog that is already trained but not 'damaged', then talk to breeders who show their dogs. They often retire show dogs and place them in good homes.

Partly true, I've had folks surrender their corgis due to divorced, moving out of country, owner died of old age, owner going through foreclosure...etc. The only time where we need to euthanize a corgi was due to unrehomable behaviour from previous severe head injury.

I have never met a corgi who's untrainable, of course it has to do with adopter's realistic expectation and their ability.

Exactly my point. Rescues are wonderful and I applaud those who take them in, but approaching it as the easy way out is not realistic. It's something like adopting an older child because someone doesn't want the 'hassle' of a baby. If that's the attitude, then maybe they shouldn't have a child at all. If someone wants an 'easy' dog, then maybe they need a stuffed toy!

It is discouraging even. But, I guess they want to make really sure that the new parents are really what is best for the dog. I don't know. I see so many cute ones to be adopted, and I want another, but the process and even some fees stop me from even starting the process. I guess that is also a way to find out who is really willing to give the "extra mile" for their pooches. Shame on me, I guess I am not really ready. Good Luck to you!! I am pretty sure you guys will make excellent parents and your corgi will make and excellent playmate! Keep trying.
I saw an ad on craigslist I responded to on a Corgi... No reply.

There's plenty of Corgi's nation-wide. Heck, in my neighborhood, I know of 7 other Corgi's! I am no rush, and ultimately, I would like a "retired" show Corgi. If someone has one that they would like to see go to a loving good home... please email me.
I do know of a few older corgis in need of homes if you would like to email me privately I can give you the contact information. I know of a couple in OK and one in MI. info@wendtworthcorgis.com
Blahh that is lame. It's so sad because it's horrible owners that make rescues so angry. They probably see these dogs come from horrible situations and want the very best for the dogs, or think that the dog will be better off staying with them if you don't have a fenced in yard or something ridiculous like that. It's sad because the restrictions are good, but they're hindering people from getting dogs :( Keep trying though, or maybe see if there's someone else you can talk to.
Tell me who has a fenced in yard in Boston or Manhattan yet there's beautiful well taken care of Corgi's I see every day.
Don't generalized and give up just yet, my wife and I applied years ago here in FL, we were living in a condo on the 2nd floor, no fence, both of us worked 8+ hours a day and still we were chosen! So if one door closes, another will open :) Put yourself in the rescue shoe, if you were to give up Camber forever, how would you pick your candidate and what will you be looking for? What will be your selection process? It is really a mutual interview, both parties need to feel comfortable and have some of trust. It is never easy to re-home a dog, sometimes things don't work out and they need to be retrain and re-home, Going through so many changes in a short time is never good for the dog, If you can step out of your comfort zone and push the emotions aside, sometimes you can see the reasoning behind people's actions. Yes there will always be bad apples in any field, but don't abandon the whole tree :)
I have to agree w/him. Its hard. I've told my best friends they aren't good enough homes for my dogs. LOL They know what I mean...its hard and you want the perfect, forever, loving, dedicated home. What a tragedy for a dog to be given up to rescue to be adopted out to go back to a rescue again. The rescuers are doing whats best for the dog..not you. Thats their ultimate goal! They have been in situations that are unforgiving and been told so many lies or promises that have been broken you tend to become alittle crass. Some of them act this way to scare off the ones that aren't serious but the ones who stick w/it and show their dedication and desire will win them over. Be open and hardworking w/them and understanding and it'll open up a whole new outlook for you. Good luck again.
We'll get the right dog, I am not worried, just a little frustrated. I end up not looking and a few months passes, then all of a sudden I start looking again. The right Corgi we find their way to me. They are popular dogs, so it's not like there's only a handful nationwide.
Hey mosesbotbol, I also wrote a blog about my experiences rescuing dogs, and how being living on an apartment affected me. I went through a lot to rescue a corgi and unfortunately the rescues would not reply, i mean they could had said "i am sorry but you do not qualify", but not responding to the inquiry was rude. Then I gave up and i went to a breeder to get superstar. then everything started stirring up when people would tell me i should had rescue cause there are plenty of corgis around. i mean , it gets me all the time. now, superstar is beautiful, i take care of her on the vet, food and etc. and then, me and my boyfriend decided to get another dog, and we tried to look for rescues, and my boyfriend wanted to get a big dog, so we got a great dane! how about that? we rescued a great dane, even though those are big big BIG dogs and still we got one....

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service