Is there any significance to the name you chose for your dog(s)? My fiance named his corgi "Lucy" after watching Across the Universe. I named my dog "Penny" after a Basset Hound we had when I was born. If I am to ever get a boy corgi, I would like it's name to end in a "y" as well :)

Views: 158

Replies to This Discussion

I did a lot of thinking on Banzai's name. I really wanted a name that captured the corgi spirit. I visited a lot of baby name sites and looked at names that other people had picked for their dogs. But nothing really rang any bells for me.

Then I thought about all things that a corgi is to me, and remembered the Japanese bonsai tree. That little tree that looks like it should be a big one. But the spelling bonsai didn't grasp me either. Till I saw a different spelling of the word. Banzai. This spelling has a completely different meaning. Ten thousand years is the literal translation. Normally it is used as a cheer of encouragement and excitement. Spelled Banzai sounds like bonsai it works for me.

When telling a group of our friends his name one shouted out "Banzai Fuzzybutt," because I had made a comment before about how I love the corgis' fuzzy butts. After that the name stuck.
Aw, that's a really good name! Lucy's full name is Lucille Magoo because I always called her "Lucy Goo" for some reason. So when it came time to officially name her through the AKC that is what we chose while Penny's is Penelope Pooch.

Perhaps next time I get a corgi, I will research the name :)
We seem to be going with video games in our house, our cat is named after Simon Belmont from Castlevania, so after a couple days thought James came up with Leon Kennedy from the Resident Evil series. I seriously wanted to go with Stubbs the Zombie, but after a week Leon ended up being what stuck. :)
I think the name you choose can be a reflection of you the owner. In my case my daughter named my Corg Wilbur and now I can't imagine a different name. He seems to have grown into it. We also ascribe different middle names to him, the one that seems to stick the most and reflect his playful nature is "Scoot".
My dog's name "Aedyn" is a phonetic reconstruction of an old Welsh Gaelic name for both boys and girls (boys more commonly) It would probably usually be transposed as "Aidan" instead, but I like mine better.

It means literally: "Little Fire"
How enormously fitting for her
(she was a lot CALMER and more, uh... manageable when I gave her the name)
I love hearing all of the name stories! My husband and I are planning on getting a redhead after i graduate from WSU and naming him Cullen from the Twilight series :) So it doesn't end in a "y" like I wanted too, but I still really dig the name!
Sirius: the Dog Star (lower-left of Orion, brightest star in the sky except for planets Venus & Jupiter).
Gwynnhffar: I don't even know how to spell or pronounce Gwynnie's name. Welsh name, all consonants.
Allegro
: "Quick, Lively, Happy" in music notation. It was our daughter's turn to name the dog. "Adaggio" would have invited endless puns, but I believe that means "Slow", no way.
My dogs name is Madee Lou, and she came to me with that name, however I do like it... and my husbands dog is named Koree... his reasoning is Koree the corgi... has a ring to it i guess but he had koree before he had me and my maiden last name is Corey and that is how he used to spell his dogs name so I changed it to koree... We have a weiner dog named Pickelz and she got that name after a lot of thought... We have had in the past a chihuaha named petree off of land before time... I dont know some people have names picked out before they get their dogs and some people, me for example, have to have them around a while to decide their names
I always knew that I wanted a Corgi, but my husband wanted a larger breed of dog. We finally compromised...I got my Corgi and he got to name her after his favorite sports team, Chelsea Football Club from England. When we got our Corgi, she quickly got used to her new name of Chelsea Blue. We call her Chelsea Welsy or sometimes Chelsea Welsy Woo Woo when I sing to her. The Chelsea FC was recently in Seattle playing our MLS team, the Sounders. We went but I was bummed that I couldn't bring along our own Chelsea Blue to cheer on her team.
My Husband came up with the name Teagen (means little poet) because it was welsh I was going for Sophie because I think it's a pretty name, He won the informal vote we did with co-workers and friends I'll admit though I can't imagine calling her anything else now. Jordan came named from the breeder and I figured it was a fine name so kept it.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service