So how often do you have to deal with fleas seeing as how you live so far north? Lets face it 6 out of the 7 contantents on earth have fleas. What time do they come around for you? Is it an all year thing or just during certain months? Do you think the West coast deals with fleas less then people who live on the Idaho side? How do you personally deal with the fleas?

Views: 85

Replies to This Discussion

My dogs rarely itched at all until I got a kitten from the humane society for them who had fleas. I religiously give my dogs a bath every week with puppy shampoo and I attempt to give the cat a bath about once a month. Normally, the dogs just lick her to death for me:) I'm sure that during the winter months that the fleas may get worse since it will be warmer inside my home :)
We're in Seattle. We use the Advantage(TM) insecticide -- the stuff you apply directly to their skin. It works. I handle it like toxic waste: I do NOT let it get on my skin and I wear nitrile (not latex) gloves to apply it. I don't let it get on the gloves, either. Then I try to keep the dogs away from small children for a few days.

We've used the Advantix(TM) stuff for tick season, which means when we're going to the east side of the Cascades. There don't seem to be ticks on the west (wet) side of the mountains.

These products seem to work well, but I would use them very, very carefully.

We do not have young children in the house anymore. I would hesitate to use such insecticides if we did. You can smell this stuff in the dogs' fur for days afterwards, so you do get some exposure. It's reasonable to assume that young children are much more susceptible to harm than adults. Remember: the corporations will sell you anything they can get away with, and when they say it's "safe", that means "safe enough that you'll have enough difficulty suing them". They have a proven track record of selling us stuff that turns out to be considerably more dangerous than expected or admitted. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me. ;-)

One thing we did once with great success when we had 1 cat in Seattle: "Fleabusters". They came to the house, dusted carpets and some furniture(?) with polyborate salts (borax?). I would not expect it to be particularly toxic; it's not a neurotoxin. Allegedly, it dehydrates the fleas. It was guaranteed for 1 year. It lasted about 5 years. We just forgot about fleas for a long time. Never tried it for the dogs.
Borax is great stuff. It is non toxic, and kills more then just fleas. We use it down here in Florida to get rid of roaches. I just have one problem with it. It feels horrible. So if you plan to use the stuff yourself I suggest wearing gloves.
No fleas in Wenatchee. Guess its too hot and dry here.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service