So, as some may know I still have a long haul until I can get my precious Corgi and I've had a breeder picked out for a while but I'm not quite sure how soon is too soon to contact her. I planed on getting my corgi June of 2015 hopefully so I thought I would contact her about a year before that. Is that too soon? Or is that too late? She has been breeding for a while & I would really like a puppy from her so I don't know if I should ask to be put on the waiting list now if she has one. Any input and/or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!


Views: 107


You need to be a member of to add comments!


Comment by SJK on August 15, 2013 at 8:10pm

Keep in mind it might take longer than a few days because breeders can be out at shows for days at a time, and are too busy for emails (they usually have full time jobs too). Don't get discouraged though, and if it's been longer than a week I would try giving them a call if they invite phone calls. Some breeders don't like email at all.

Comment by Ciara & Macy on August 13, 2013 at 9:18pm
Thanks for the replies. I emailed her tonight with the advice. I hope to get an email in the next few days so fingers crossed!
Comment by Chris West on August 13, 2013 at 4:20pm

It is NEVER too soon to start contacting breeders.  I contacted my first breeder 5 years ago about getting a show prospect cardigan puppy.  I just picked him up 3 weeks ago.

Also, be prepared to explain exactly WHY you want a puppy from her.  Some breeders are very picky about who they sell to.  Your best bet would be to contact her with information about yourself, why you want a corgi puppy, and specifically why you want a puppy from her.

Comment by Sarah Weippert on August 13, 2013 at 3:33pm

I started contacting breeders in Feb/Mar with hopes of getting a pup this year. Most sent me an application at that point, told me when their planned litters would be, and told me to get in touch again a few weeks before the planned dates. 

Coincidentally, I went to meet one of the breeders three days after she had a litter. I put down a deposit two days later and secured one of the two males. 11 weeks later I had myself a new little buddy. So I didn't have much of a wait because I hit it just right. Nemo came from a large show breeder who has quite a few litter (4 this year I think) while one of the other breeders I contacted didn't have any planned.

One of the other breeders I met with also had a large waiting list because there happened to be a bunch of previous buyers from litters 12-13 years ago getting pups to replace recently deceased dogs and she was giving preference to those who had her pups before. 

Another breeder had taken 5 deposits and only 2 pups were whelped so 3 of the deposits were put toward her next litter. 

So long story short you never know how long or short a wait list is going to be, it doesn't hurt to contact early.



Comment by Beth on August 13, 2013 at 10:14am
I'd shoot out an e-mail with an introduction. Some breeders breed a couple times a year, others rarely have litters, so she can probably give you an idea now if your time frame matches hers or not. If it were me, I would just send a cheerful introductory note with some information about myself, and why I had picked that date.
Comment by Linda on August 13, 2013 at 7:46am

I don't really know about waiting lists for a breeder...both mine were adult rehomings...but I don't think contacting the breeder now and explaining your time frame would be a problem.  But that's just a guess on my part.

Rescue Store

Stay Connected


FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...



© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service