Since I work at PetSmart and am a trainer, I have a unique interest in what foods people use for their dogs. One of my training modules is on canine nutrition and I'd love to hear what folks feed and why they chose the brand they use.

Views: 2200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm an avid Blue fan, myself. What did you mean by small selection, exactly? Usually my PetSmart carries all that Blue offers. They usually have a Blue rep there during high traffic times, too. May want to see if you can catch one of them... or were you concerned about variety of flavors?

I use the lamb based puppy formula for Rolo, our 7 month old. Easy to digest and he loves it.

Sadie is on the Lite Version of the adult food, only because she's a little piggie and prefers more in her bowl than is really good for her.

Loki (our resident delinquent cat) prefers the Salmon Spa selection... or Sadie's food... or dropped Dorito chips... Whichever he can get away with (and lately it isn't much!)

The only thing I wish BB would come out with is a training treat. They have the dog biscuits which are tasty (according to the Corgwn armada) but they are too big to train with. I've tried breaking them down but they crumble so much it's almost not worth it for what you waste.

Nutro Max isn't as bad as you COULD get... but luckily my animals have never liked the taste so it was never really an issue.
Well, for some reason, they didn't have a puppy formula available. The person working there said that they usually do, but for some reason they don't right now. And in the cat food, they didn't have an indoor formula. And I've found that if we don't use some sort of indoor formula, Melvin (the Kitty) will eat every available house plant and go to great lengths to do it. I think I just have a crappy Petsmart. I have never seen a food rep there for any brand. ? Maybe I should drive a town over to Petco? I'm considering it.
I didn't know they even made an indoor formula! I'll have to bug them about that.
Could be your store... I'd make an effort to talk to the manager and get the products IN there. With gas prices today, they need to be more accommodating. I mean heck, it's a product they are supposed to carry!
There have been many recalls for Nutro lately. I dont know if I would stick with that food. You have to buy canidae from a specialty pet store. Use this link to find a store that carries it if you want. http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html
I've been feeding canidae for about three years. It was one of the foods without problems during the last pet food problem. All four of our dogs free feed (horrors!) and none of them are overweight. Training now is a different issue!
Okay, I found a specialty pet store and boarding kennel close to my house (kinda) that sells Canidae and Felidae (has anyone used this with thier cat?) so I think I'll be getting that. It doesn't look like its all that more expensive than Nutro either, am I right? I think i saw a 5 lb bag on PetDirect.com or something for like $7.49, which isn't that bad really.
Question though, I started the switch to Nutro today for both the boys, should I finish this out or not? I don't want to totally upset thier stomachs by playing constant switcharoo with thier food. Grover has already had some stomach upset (yesterday, before I switched his food), just gas and hiccups. And if I decide to spring for the Canidae today, should I donate the old food to Humane Society or something?
I would call the stores first to see if they have it. I was planning on going to a store that was supposed to have it then I called and they said they dont sell it anymore. I called another store close to my house and they had it. I would also not take any chances with Nutro and take them off now before they get really used to the food. Just keep feeding them the old food (if you still have it) then start putting in little bits of Canidae. I wouldnt donate it either because that food can make another dog sick and give the Humane Society more problems.
Well, I have to drive by there today anyway, so I might just stop in. I want to check the place out anyway just to see what they have.
Thanks for all the advice everyone!! I can't believe how much I didn't know about the care of my pets!! I feel like a terrible parent for not having been feeding them something good all along, especially with my cat, Melvin! He's already 9 yrs old! And I want to make sure we have 9 more years with him!! :)
My poor honeys! I'll have to promise them to do better! :)
You arent the only owner who did that.. Its not the owners fault anyways. Its the people who make the products. There are so many companies out in the world that make dog food, but only a few of them are a good quality. All of these companies should start thinking more about the dog eating the dog food then the money. I fed my pup Purina Healthy Puppy formula and just recently switched to Canidae and I am never going back. I am making a serious change in Chloe diet right now as well. You are doing the right thing.
Parker, PetSmart might have a satisfaction guarantee (I think a lot of the big stores do), even if the bag has been opened. You could take it back and say it gave him the tummy issues you mentioned. Our local Kahoots store has that policy. I don't know what they do with the returned food, though.

Puppy Sidney is doing great on puppy Wellness, and I'm switching my old guys to either Chicken Soup or Canidae. The girl at Kahoots said she has heard lots of good things about both, and the price is not much more at all than the "supermarket" stuff.

I was also clueless when it came to pet food quality. It was only after Sid came into our lives that I learned (thanks a lot to this site too...what an education!) and now I know better. No more Beneful for my furkids!
UPDATE on Kirby:
It has been a few days since I have switched Kirby's food to Canidae and I am absolutely ecstatic about how well he is doing. He no longer is vomiting and he does not have the typical running stool he was having on Nutro Max. I am very happy with this product and dont think I will be switching ever again!
Good to hear!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service