I have been a fan of the show "dog whsiperer" by Cesar Millan. I have tried to be the "pack leader" and walk my dogs, it works very well with mocha, he submits to my authority and walk along me, however my little one Vienna always try to lead me, we have tried using the "gentle leader", semi choke chain of sorts and she still pulls. Do you have any tips?

Views: 2402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess i have that to look forward to! Yay!! I think Brynn is already acting kinda like that when walking .Like i said she was perfect at first , now she acts like she doesn't know what i am talking about . Oh the joys of puppies :) The marking of pant legs sounds funny, but it would be embarrassing and frustrating .Keep up the good work Chris.
I did look kind of crazy running up to people I didn't know saying "No!, No!, No!" and clapping my hands. After Charlie marked three people at the park, I started staying close enough to stop him right before he tried to mark everyone not yet blessed with his scent. He'd get right up behind a person for a covert, sneaky 'hike" attack. The humans seemed somewhat relieved when I told them, "Sorry, my dog was about to mark you as his own!" He never did that before this weekend. (sigh...teenagers)
I would be mortified ! What does one do in that situation ? Pay for dry cleaning ? LOL Still trying to teach Brynn to not jump on people that want to pet her on our walks .All the rain we get here in Portland keeps her paws muddy and wet .
Just thinking about being a parent and how much work it is and thankful i work part time .Having 2 cats and Brynn is a lot of work making sure they all feel loved and get enough attention everyday .I don't know how working Mothers of human children do it ! I'll have to tell my friends with children what a good job they do and buy them a glass of wine , or two !!
Yes I've always thought a working mother is like a real-life Superwoman. I've never been blessed with kids and don't know how they do it.

Most people who got marked at the park laughed and said "Don't worry. It's not the first time." Everyone was pretty much in blue jeans, and I was able to stop Charlie from further human marking by paying closer attention and staying closer to him.

Jumping up is a tough one, because most people don't seem to mind. I keep asking people not to encourage Charlie to jump up, but they usually just say how cute he is and essentially praise him for jumping. No help there. They'd probably be more cooperative if his paws were wet and muddy! :)

Yesterday, Charlie pulled, pulled, pulled on our walk. We took a lot more time than normal because of the stopping, starting, turning and walking another direction, etc. He also pooped during our walk for the first time. As often as we play in the backyard, he should make it through a walk without going! I didn't have any baggies. Someone had tossed a Little Debbie Lemon Pie snack box out their window, which was laying within a foot from the "scene of the accident". While I would normally be annoyed by people who litter the streets, the box came in handy as a pooper scooper. That gave new meaning to "One man's trash is another man's treasure."
You are so funny !
People don't seem to mind Brynn getting them muddy at all , I do ! They think she is cute . When i try to keep her off them , they always say it's all right . I just don't want her doing it to me come summer when i am in flip flops and shorts . I read up on how to do it in a book i have .Hold her paws EVERY time she jumps up , but having problems since i think it's cute when she greets me .Have to try harder .
OK. I get an "F" in leash walking. Flub, fail, zero, zip, nada, no gold star. The light bulb just went off today as to what I have done wrong with Charlie's leash walking, why he is pulling, and how to fix it (hopefully). Of course now that we have a two-month habit of walking the wrong way, it'll take longer to fix than if it hadn't let it go downhill.

Problems leading to my failure: Priority on destination of walk and time constraints, not on walking the right way.

Charlie and I started leash training when I got him at 10 1/2 weeks. We started in the house and backyard. He was doing GREAT! I was chomping at the bit for his 4 month final round of puppy shots so we could start walking at parks and around the neighborhood. At 4 months we started with about 1/4 mile. I had a goal of working up to 2 miles by the time he was 5 months old. I also figured I could take up to a 1 hour break from my computer for our daily walk. For the last two months, Charlie and I have walked 2 miles a day within one hour -- the wrong way!

Two basics of keeping the puppy from pulling on leash (which both Bill and Sue mentioned): 1) Do not take one step forward if the puppy pulls in front of you. Stand still until the puppy sits and lets the leash get loose. (Even if it takes 10 minutes); or 2) If you act before the puppy reaches the end of the leash, turn around and walk a different direction.

If I had done the right things, our 2 mile walk would have taken 4-5 hours with all the stopping and waiting, or doubling back to get Charlie following instead of pulling the leash. I didn't have that much time! We were only doing the right things (stopping and changing directions) for about 1/4 to 1/2 of our walk, then due to time constraints, I was letting Charlie pull me quite a bit the rest of the way to get home on time. Oops! Fail, flub, big fat zero, etcetera, etcetera.

My intentions were good. I wanted Charlie to get all the exercise he needed and a 2 mile walk along with all the soccer and fetch we play in the backyard seemed like the right thing. Heck, it still seems like the right thing from an exercise standpoint.

The problem is that I rushed him into a situation with lots of distractions (cars, people on bicycles, kids skateboarding, other dogs) before he really learned that he is supposed to walk next to me. Duh! We went too fast. While it may have been boring, we should have walked in a big circle inside the house or out in the backyard on a LOOSE LEASH for 2 miles, than walk in a more interesting environment for 2 miles on a tight leash. We would still have 2 miles of exercise...in less than an hour.

Today we did not go for our 2 mile neighborhood walk. Before putting the leash on, Charlie had to sit and be calm. That took 8-10 minutes. We walked around the livingroom. We stopped if he pulled. We changed directions a lot. We went out in the backyard. Same thing....stop or change directions...no pulling allowed. Lots of treats right at his nose level by my knee were used to entice him to walk next to me. We spent about 15 minutes practicing "Sit. Stay" inside the gate with the gate wide open (instead of charging out the gate to go, go, go!) When we could calmly walk through the gate without pulling, we practiced walking circles in the front yard. We even made it into the culdesac for a little bit. Charlie did GREAT...just like when he was a puppy. No pulling, because I didn't let him pull (how easy to forget rule #1). Much of the time, I only took one step. One single step before having to stop and stand still until Charlie quit pulling. Some of the time though, Charlie was walking along next to my left leg with his little bright Corgi eyes shining up at me like "I'm having fun, Mom!"
Brynn doesn't pull on the leash unless she wants to sniff ,or not walk at all.
Yesterday we had a lovely hour walk where she was at my side or behind me most of the trip .It's just the starting out where she wants to do what she wants to do and fights me a bit .
I also use the harness that John is using.Brynn seems to like it .James ( my partner) didn't want Brynn with a normal leash .I know it's not what I am supposed to use but oh well.LOL
Chris keep up the good work . I understand the time thing .I think Brynn knows if i am in a hurry and acts up more . I keep remembering to make it FUN and enjoy the walk .After she is done with her shots we can play during our walk
I'm going to try to not have to use a harness or head halter. The CGC (Canine Good Citizen) certification test requires walking on a loose leash with one left, one right, one about-face turn, and one stop and restart. The test has to be done on a regular collar and leash, no harnesses or halters allowed. Corgis look really cute though in those harnesses...like a fashion accessory! :)

Day before yesterday was one of our worst walks for Charlie pulling. My "lightbulb" moment came when we passed a young man and his rather large dog. The dog was walking right next to his owner. They were enjoying a long walk on a beautiful day. The six foot leash had no apparent use. It was hanging between them in a slack, capital "U"-shape. Meanwhile I was worrying about my left bicep muscle outgrowing my right bicep muscle from Charlie's pulling. They were doing it right. I want to look like them! That's when I realized that I was doing it all wrong. We had gone from doing pretty good, to getting slightly worse each day. The contrast really hit home.

After re-reading every article I could find on loose-leash walking, I found another thing we were doing wrong. I was letting Charlie get too excited before we ever took a step outside. I was making him sit and stay before I opened the gate. - (Good) I was making sure that I took the first step out the gate. - (Good) After that though, all bets were off. I got one step out, which was Charlie's cue to "Zing"...go charging out and hang himself at the end of the lead as I stopped and stood still. (Bad, bad start.) I read that you need to have a calm, controlled start to the walk or the rest of the walk may not go well.

Sounds like Brynn is doing well now (like Charlie was a couple months ago). But consider standing still like "a tree" until she calms down and quits fighting at the start of your walk. You don't want to let her good behavior slowly decline (like I did).

Charlie and I have already had our first leash practice this morning in the backyard and we spent about 10 minutes doing nothing but walking calmly in and out the gate. Charlie figured it out pretty fast (I'm the dummy!). We made it to the end of the driveway to get the paper, at least.

I'm encouraged with my renewed resolve to "do it right" this time. It just may take us a few weeks to make it as far as the end of the block. LOL But WE ARE going to walk like the young man with his well-behaved dog someday. (And we are still having FUN and enjoying the training!)
Our new strategy is that I vowed yesterday that I WILL NEVER LET CHARLIE TAKE ONE STEP FORWARD IF THE LEASH IS TIGHT. He can be allowed to walk ahead, to the side or behind, but he can no longer walk any direction if he is straining on the leash. We stop walking. This may mean that if I get in a hurry or rushed for time, I'll pick him up and carry him rather than let him pull. (Carrying your dog is also not a great habit, but better than letting him pull.)

We're using the "Be a Tree" and "Back and to the Right" methods described fairly simply on this web page:
http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/nopulling.html

I'm also using the donkey and carrot method to get him close to me and start walking next to me. (Food treats in front of his nose next to my left knee while walking a few steps forward.) We are working this on and off-leash (off- leash only in the fenced yard).

The first four bullet-points on the following website link are pretty harsh, straightforward words (scolding the trainer for allowing pulling), but spoke volumes to me as far as my own training mistakes. Guess I needed a slap on the wrist. LOL The author suggests yet another training method after scolding you with the first four points, which I don't really see working as well as the "tree" and "back and right" methods, but will be worth a try if other methods fail.
http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2002/pulling.htm

Most of us with pulling dogs have taught them to pull. It takes a lot of patience, and a lot of time to stop in your tracks everytime the dog pulls. I've committed to it though, so we can all soon see if it will really works. I knew that's what I was supposed to do, but just didn't have the patience to follow through, so I taught Charlie the rewards of pulling. (Shame on me!)

If you can master a loose leash walk first, Foxy should then be able to learn "Ignore it" when it comes to birds, dogs, kids, and other distractions.
Thanks for the input and updates Chris :) Brynn still has her moments when we first go out .The new one, is nipping at me ,and the leash . After the first 10 min. of stopping and starting ,she loves it and will stay at my left side with a loose leash !! Yay !!!! I hope it stays that way ...
Not looking forward to the teenage years .LOL .
Congrats to you for keeping Brynn on the loose leash! Keep it up! Charlie doesn't nip at me, but he certainly does think that the leash is a suitable toy for a game of Tug-O-War. :)

We haven't gotten past the end of the block since I resolved not to let Charlie pull. We have made lots and lots of circles around the front and backyards though. Bad habits are hard to break!

Sorry my second lengthy reply above looks like I'm just rambling on and on. That was an answer to the member here earlier this week who had the terrier/corgi mixed breed named Foxy. He deleted his username and his question disappeared off this thread too!
Wonder why Foxy left ?
I am still going to use the harness on Brynn since we wont be "showing" her .I like it better, and she seems to as well. Plus it looks so cute :)
Good luck with training Charlie .

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service