I have been a fan of the show "dog whsiperer" by Cesar Millan. I have tried to be the "pack leader" and walk my dogs, it works very well with mocha, he submits to my authority and walk along me, however my little one Vienna always try to lead me, we have tried using the "gentle leader", semi choke chain of sorts and she still pulls. Do you have any tips?

Views: 2402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see a lot of replies already, but I don't have time to read them all! Maybe someone else already suggested this. I've had the same problem with Gonzo, and recently I started buckling down on it. I keep our leash short and every single time he pulls on it, I say "No," stop walking, and tell him to sit. When he sits I tell him to stay. The first few times he would keep looking around and try to walk, but I absolutely would not give in. After a few seconds I will give him a treat and keep walking. Now he's pretty good about it and even watches me most of the time, and we can stop and sit for a minute or so. We still have to work at it, but even just one hour of this made a world of difference.
Well, we've been working on leash walking "the right way" for about two weeks now and just today made it two blocks. Most of our time has been working in the backyard, frontyard and in our culdesac. Some days Charlie won't focus at all, so we keep the training sessions very short. Other days, like today, he seems to be figuring out that I'm not letting him pull anymore.

I'm still kind of mad at myself for letting him get in the habit of pulling in the first place. It's making retraining a lot more difficult, but we'll get there.
I think Foxi likes to walk us when she's in puppy school(dog obedience) but when we walk her at home she heels pretty good. You think it would be the opposite. I think she just likes to see if she can catch up to the other dogs in her class because there is never any slack in her leash!!! She just goes like heck!!! I do have to admit, I didnt like the choker chain idea but after using it and seeing the differance, I wont use anything else until I'm totally confident that she is the one being "walked."
After about 3 1/2 weeks of diligent work, we finally had a breakthrough today. Something finally clicked in Charlie's head and we had a nice long walk with very little pulling. I am delighted and very proud of my boy. : )
Gizmo would always pull us down the street. We had one of those leashes that you could let out as much as you wanted, i dont know what they're called. not the best kind for a puller. But anyways, I bought a chain collar (at a dollar store!)...and a regular leash to hook on it... dont know if thats what a "choke collar" is or what, it looks like the kind caesar uses, it has a loop on one end and goes through itself, so if the dog pulls, it will pull the collar tighter. Anyways, the minute I put that collar on gizmo, he did not pull one bit!! And he still looked happy, it was not choking him, and he didn't seem to mind it at all. One thing about those though, you really need to be sure you put the collar up nice and high on his neck, sort of right behind the ears, that is the sensitive spot. If you leave it down toward the back of their neck where collars naturally fall, it won't work at all because thats the spot they like to pull with. You also cant let the leash hang reaaally loose, cuz the collar will loosen up and fall down, you gotta hold the leash just tight enough to keep the collar in place, but at the same time relaxed so that it wont tighten any more than it naturally is. This tip i got from watching Caesar, I finally decided to give those loop collars a try...and boy is it a miracle walking gizmo beside us during the winter when we are walking down sheets of ice in the driveway, rather than have him pull us down the ice so we land on our you know whats!
I know other people who successfully use a slip collar (choke chain or check chain). Monday and Tuesday, I broke down and tried it. It didn't work for us. Charlie pulled just as much as on his flat collar, and Tuesday he lunged at an off-leash dog and I could see why they say the check chain can really damage the dog's neck. So it was not a good collar for us.

What did work is when I committed a few weeks ago to never take a single step forward if Charlie is pulling. If the leash is loose, we go forward. If the leash is tight I take 3 to 10 steps backwards to the direction he wants to go (penalty yards). I didn't think that was working, but I stuck with it, and yesterday Charlie finally "got it". He's still doing great today with just a buckle collar and lead.

It took two months of letting him get in the bad habit of pulling, and not quite one month to train him the right way. We still have a little more work for consistency, but it's a pleasure to walk with him now for the most part. I love my little guy! : - )
Chris - Happy to hear it's better now. Brynn has a "normal" collar as well and it works for us . About 99% of the time she is perfect , on my left side and no pulling ! I do the same as you ,when she starts to pull the smallest bit , we stop walking :) She is a tricky one , she will pretend i 'm walking her every once in awhile , not really pulling , but just walking me . When this happens i stop walking right away and make sure she knows I'm walking her , not the other way around .
Yesterday was her first day to meet other dogs (Shots) and it was a beautiful day , 50 and sunny . She was all bark and no bite , when we met other dogs. Brynn was afraid and tried to hide behind me .This was small dogs as well ! She will get used to other dogs ASAP because there are so many here in Portland . I found that the larger dogs were much more gentle with her then the tiny ones ! LOL .
Keep up the good work and give Charlie a hug from me :)
Charlie gets lots of hugs, but I'll give him one extra today from you for learning to walk right! Thank you! :)

I'm sure Brynn will learn to get along with other dogs in time, giving lots of opportunities to meet them. If she gets really scared, you'll need to take her away from the dog that scares her. If she bullies another dog (doesn't sound like she's doing that) she needs a time out. Last weekend, Charlie met about 40 dogs at the park. He got along great with all except for two. One little Yorkie he bullied so he got a couple of "time outs", and one dog (mixed breed) a little bigger than him came up and bullied/scared him so I moved him away.

Give Brynn hugs from me too! : )
Just my opinion, don´t mean to offend anyone, but Cesar Millan is insane, his methods is neanderthal and dangerous, they could end up hurtting more than helping. A lot of danish dog psychologist wanted the show taken of the danish tv 2 years ago.
"My dog-guru" Jan Fennell invented the mothod called Amichien Bonding, look into that. Much more humane to the dog and you get results fast. read the book "The Practical Dog Listener - The 30 Day Path to a Lifelong Understanding of Your Dog" and/or the book " The dog Listener". Sorry about the spelling, i´m from Denmark so... :-)
Anita, I checked out what Peaceful Paws.com had to say about Amichien Bonding, and it actually sounds a lot like Ceasar... understanding the dog, dog psychology, pack behavior, leadership, no pain..... I've never seen Caesar inflict any pain on a dog. He seems to understand their behavior pretty well, and he uses pack behavior to help rehabilitate the dogs, as well as his own gentle but firm touch. He never yells, nor is he rough.

Have you read any of Caesar's book? The book you mentioned actually sounds a lot like Ceasar's book. I haven't read the whole thing, but what I've read of Ceasar's, is all about understanding your dog better in order to better communicate and lead.

I'm a bit confused as to what the major difference is between the two, as they seem very similar to me. I suppose everyone has their preference, but like I said, I don't see much difference between the description of either method.
I know that the basic of the Pack leader is the same, but the difference is that Fennell use a kind and humane methold. No dominatin the dog, I post a link frome the Peaceful Paws that you mention, about Millian

http://www.peacefulpaws.us/articles/AHA_Release.htm

I havent read his book, just looked at his show as long as I could before realising that the man was wrong in the way that he makes the dog face his fears be force. That could do more harme than good.
And the "Alpha roll over" thing, I would never use that on my Cæsar, he is not neutered and is all male dog, but he sees me as his leader. No alpha roll overs, just love and respect.
but as you maybe know, the scandinavian way in regards to dog psychology is wery different to the American. My father in law is american and he thinks i am wrong in the way i am with my dog. So maybe it´s a kultural thing...
hey, whatever works! as long as our pups are happy =)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service