Okay, I have a question for anyone who has gotten their puppy from a good breeder with show quality puppies. I'll be picking up my puppy in about 2 weeks and I need to know for sure what to expect to get from the breeder. She tests for hip dysplasia, vWB, and she has the eyes tested. Am I supposed to get some sort of certificate saying they were free of all that stuff. I would think I will have a good quality puppy since the breeder is keeping her sister for the show ring and eventually to breed (she is losing 2 of the girls she breeds currently, as they are getting a little old to breed) and she follows all of the PWCCA standards. I know I won't get full AKC paperwork until I have my girl spayed, but is there any other paper work aside from the sales agreement, partial paperwork, or healt certificates I should be getting or need to ask about? Thanks!

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I didn't get my Bailey from a show-quality breeder, but among the paperwork you'll defintely need are the shots/worming records for your first vet visit. =P We did also get a health certificate valid for 1 year if we brought the pup for a checkup within a week of taking him home (read the print on the health certificate to be sure). I can't think of anything additional unless she gives copies of the pedigree/bloodline - but that should come with the AKC papers... hmm.. I'm sure others will have things to add. but congrats! =P
Both of our breeders gave us a "puppy packet." It consisted of the pedigree, pictures of the puppies, a sheet explaining the puppy and the tests completed (genetic, etc.), and the contract.

Each breeder is different, but it sounds like you know what paperwork you need to get. Enjoy your new puppy!
Here is what I would expect to get from a reputable breeder:
Proof of OFA of both sire and dam - hip certification, should be from fair to excellant rating
CERF - eyes should be free of PRA, cataracts or visual threatening anomolies
vWD - both parents should be clear and proof shown
Generally a 5 - 7 generation pedigree is offered
Generally pictures of the sire and dam are offered
Registration papers, usually which will be limited unless on a co-ownership
A contract that guarantees the genetic health of your puppy until at least two years of age. Most reputable breeders also require that you contact them and return the dog should you ever decide not to keep him. Most will also have a spay/neuter clause.
Copies of vaccinations and worming information and any veterinary visits they have had. Your breeder will give you a schedule of upcoming vaccinations and worming. Most will recommend a premium diet and send a bit home with you. Best of all reputable breeders are most interested on how their pups are growing on and love for you to stay in touch, keep them aware of your pups health and progress in the home. They are there to help you along the way with training questions and recommendations for training facilities and often vet referrals. Best of luck with your new pup!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service