I gave bailey a haircut over the weekend and it kind of looks like she was hit by a lawnmower, i am not the best hairdresser.

I just read about some of the adverse effects of "shaving" a corgi. We didnt "shave" her per say, just used a buzzer and instead of having long hair, she now has short hair.

Anyone see a problem with this? She was getting really hot.
PS- we use the furminator too.

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My friend Tim and Melissa got their Corgi's fur shaved and she looked ridiculous, they only shaved her body so her head had hair but her body was nude. I love her to death but she looked hilarious and I know he's probably reading this.
I dont see a problem with it, but I think someone told me Corgi's have two coats of fur for the different weather so you dont need to shave them, they just shed.

Put him in the kiddy pool, I will be putting Wyatt in it soon.

I am sure your dog looks fine still....good luck.
oh no she isnt totally nude, she just has a buzz cut with about 1 inch of hair or so. she is just a lighter brown color now.
She's likely to get hotter with the clip. The guard hairs of the top coat (the coarse, shiny ones) hold cool air in the softer undercoat in the summer, and hold heat in the thicker winter undercoat. With the guard hairs clipped the cool air will escape, and heat from the sun will penetrate more.

Depending on how short you trimmed, her age, and her genetics it will probably take one to two years for her coat to grow in correctly and look right. The soft, dull undercoat grows fairly quickly and the shiny topcoat grows very slowly. She will likely look a bit dull and "tufty" as the undercoat grows through the shorter, slower-growing guard hairs.

The younger she is, the better her genetics, and the less you clipped, the more likely her coat will grow back quicker and completely. Keeping her brushed out regularly as her coat comes back in will help reduce the appearance of soft, lumpy undercoat tufts.
She is only 7 months old- i cant imagine it taking 2 years to get back to usual.

My girlfriend is not going to be happy about this...maybe i should have asked here before i cut.
At 7 months, she probably doesn't have her full adult coat in yet, so you may have lucked out and have it all back in less than a year. Good luck...and give those clippers away to someone with a single-coated breed! LOL
You can see the difference between the two coats. Does she still have a topcoat and an undercoat?

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service