Bailey got into her heartworm medicine a few months ago and ate 3 of those little treat like montly doses at once. We talked to the vet and he said there will be no problem.

Now we are out of the heartworm medicine and we have 2 months worth of doses we are supposed to give.

is there any way I can get just the 2 doses we need without having to buck up another 50 bucks for a whole 6 month supply?
Is this needed?

Thanks

Views: 167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess Iwould go to my vet and at least ask if I could buy 2 doses. It might cost a bit more for a single dose and the worst thing they could say would be no.......so,give it a try.
Sometimes the vets have samples. One vet I talked to when I was interviewing for one for my new puppy said the first month was free, but it probably depends on your vet.
Heartworm oral treatment is only good when given every 30 days (even if your dog "OD'd" this month). If you have any mosquitos in your area, your dog is at risk of contracting HW. See if your vet will give you a bit of "sympathy discount" on the refill (or order online cheaper). Otherwise I'd pay the full refill amount. Heartworm treatment (for an ill dog) usually costs up to $500, weakens the dog's heart/lungs, and requires that you keep the dog quiet in its crate for 6-8 weeks during recovery. Not worth the risk, IMO.
You're going to need those other 4 months worth eventually aren't you? You could just buy 6 months worth and use the other 4 after the heartworm test.
$50 for a piece of mind is worth it :) I wouldn't want to chance it, it could cost more and heartache.
Heartworm prevention is definitely needed. Time to spend the money, put the medication away for safe keeping and keep your pup healthy. $50.00 is much cheaper then treating your dog for heartworms. This would run between $1,000 and $1,500. It is also very hard on a dog.
of course i will do this for my dog, i dont want anyone thinking that I am putting my pup's life on the line for 50 bucks!
I just wanted to find out if anyone knew of a way to get just 2 doses instead of all of them. I will see wht my vet wants me to do.
Do dogs not need the heartworm medication once they have had it for 6 months? Do they only get it when they are puppies?
Heartworm treatment once a month...for life. The disease is transmitted by mosquitoes to dogs of any age.
You can get singles administered by the vet, so I would bet they sell the singles too, why not call?
Well now that I know they need one a month for the rest of their life, i will go ahead and get the a big amount. I was under the impression it was only a puppy thing for 6 months and i didnt want to waste money when i could be buying cow ears for bailey!
Oh I see, yeah, it's every months forever! Sometimes you can find better deals online at places like petmeds.com (I know someone who uses them with success). Make sure the place calls your vet because heartworm is by prescription. If they dont care enough to call and verify then they probably have outdated meds anyway!

Makes you wonder why we dont take heartworm pills every month.
i actually use this product called revolution because it is fleas and mites plus heartworm.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service