Potential health issues with turned out paws? Advice needed

Hi all,

There is a corgi I am considering for adoption but he has turned out paws. Are there any health issues that can come of this? I've been considering the options of adopting a corgi versus buying a puppy.

There is no health history on the dam and sire of the pup (he's around 10 months old). The person found the breeder from an ad in the paper - the breeder raised the puppies indoors with his parents and brother and sisters. The breeder had areas of the downstairs of her house blocked off and the pups were free to go anywhere else and it was evident to the person that the breeder did love her own corgis as well as the puppies she was selling.

Advise? Help!!

Here is a picture of the little guy: You can see how his paws are turned out.

tricolor male

tricolor corgi 2

tricolor corgi 3

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

His legs are extemely malformed. I do suspect he will have problems as he ages. If your heartstrings are pulling I suggest that you have a complete exam with a veterinarian and learn what the future may hold for this boy. If you are up for a special needs fellow it is good to learn what you may be facing. I am not sure this is a correctable condition.
Aww, he is a cutie. See what the vet says; maybe you are just the person this dog needs to have a good life. Do you know how well he moves around on those funny paws. Man, he makes me want to give him a big hug!
Working in an animal hospital, I've seen one attempted to correct this foot surgery on a NS duck Toller. It didn't have to much success. This is a hard problem to correct but I believe it can be done by a doctor that specialties in these kinds of corrective foot surgery, but of course this would be BIG bucks. Also pain management would be necessary that can be costly, including hard on the body if used for long term.
Our dog, Tank, has extremely malformed front legs/feet. They bow and curve much like this cute corgi's do. It sure hasn't slowed him down any. We still giggle when he hunkers down doing his low-rider puppy imitation and takes off running. He's going on 5-6 years old now and is just starting to feel a bit arthritic. We did look into having surgery for him, but the cost was horribly prohibitive. But if you ask him, he'll look at you like you're nuts for thinking something's wrong.

Good luck. Don't let a couple of curvy legs and feet keep you from adopting. Doesn't matter what, there's always something to deal with. Nothing's perfect, except the love you share with your corgi!
http://www.mycorgi.com/photo/photo/show?id=1150197:Photo:11012

You can get a pretty decent look at the TankDog's legs in this one. My partner, Corgi Mom, has a number of pics on her page.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service