My vet has sent me a letter urging me to neuter Rambo, but my half of my family wants him to and the other half doesn't want him to. So...what are the pros and cons of having that procedure done to him and I've noticed that whenever my family or I come home he gets very excited and his private part sticks out would having him neutered help stop that he has also tried to hump things. Any advice would be Helpful Thanks!

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It would certainly calm his sex drive and dominance humping. It also has health benefits, I believe testicular cancer particularly. He theoretically would be calmer and more focused and there is less risk of him running off to find a mate (or in traffic ect.). It would also help control homeless pet population.

There arent really any "Cons" unless you are breeding him and you probably shouldnt breed him unless you are aware of the work and money involved. It is also not very profitable.

Theres probably more benefits but I cant think of them. The only real "Con" would be surgery issues/complications, but it is a very common procedure and complications are extremely rare.
In case you missed the puppy mill episode on the Oprah's show. Here's a previous thread on neutering
What reasons does your family have for not wanting him neutered?
well they think that it would make him lazy and fat
It should reduce his aggression and marking tendencies. My three dogs are neutered and none of them are fat or lazy. As hyper and energetic as they are now (even the "old men" who are 13 and 12 years old), I can't even imagine what they would be like if the neutering supposedly made them lazy! We walk them at least every other day for 45 minutes and on weekends we like to take long hikes. Exercise will be good for you and your dog, and then you have all the benefits of neutering too.
Truly unless he is a grand speciman of the breed, is going to be shown to his championship, has a pedigree that has leant credence to the corgi world there is not reason to keep him entire. Intact dogs generally have more behavior issues due to raging hormones, mark more frequently, have a stronger desire to roam and can be enticed into a fight with little provoking. Accidental breedings are also possible. One trip to your local shelter will show you all the unwanted dogs there, many of which will be euthanized. Part of the issue here are accidental breedings and pups that no one wants. There is also the medical aspect to look at that prostate and testicular cancer are possible as he ages. There really is no good reason to keep pets entire.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service