My Corgi "jack" will not play with even be around another animal with out attacking it
My girlfriend want to get a girl corgi and name her "jill" but im afraid that my corgi wont like hers. She wants to get it so our puppies can play together but i dont know what to do.

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How old is Jack? If he's still a puppy, you should still be able to socialize him. If he's an older dog, you should be able to desensitize him so that he at least ignores other animals and doesn't growl. Have you had him out around other dogs very much? What do you do when he goes after another animal?
his bday is coming up he was born may 24 2001 so that makes him 7 on the 24th no ive never really had him around other dogs i got him about 5 years ago i occasionly take him on walks because of this issue when he goes after another animal i chase him tackle him pick him up and carry him home
Some Corgis prefer to be only dogs, especially if they have not been socialized with other animals most of their life. If you'd like to have Jack calmer around other dogs, you'll need to take him out for a walk every day....On Leash. You can't really control him if he's off leash. Take a pocketful of treats. The second you see another dog from a distance, have Jack sit, and give him a treat. As the other dog approaches, keep telling him 'good boy' and giving treats as long as he is sitting and looking at you. Quit treating and ignore him when the other dog gets so close that Jack gets excited and tries to lunge. Hold the leash, don't move, and act like the other dog passing is no big deal. When the other dog passes, get him to sit again and give him a treat. If you work on it daily, other dogs will eventually be able to get closer and closer, and finally one day walk right past you without Jack having any reaction. He'll associate other dogs with you giving him yummy treats...a good thing.

An obedience class would also help. It would provide a controlled, structured environment for Jack to see how other dogs interact. You might call some area trainers; they may recommend a couple of private training sessions versus a class.

Having your GF get a puppy is probably not a good idea (for Jack) right now.
I may be able to help you with your problem. do you have any dog parks around your area? I had a friend who had a pom mix who hated most people and dogs and now he plays really well with other dogs and will allow you to pet him-especially if you have a treat. She used to run by the dog park every day until he stopped barking. then, she walked around the perimeter until she had enough or he stopped growling and barking. then, she held him on the leash and just had him inside the dog pen away from the other dogs and sat with him so he wasnt overwhelmed. after he was ok with that, she walked him around the perimeter. then she slowly, took him off leash in teh dog park. That seemed to work but the most the pom did was growl and bark ferociously. Also, he didnt like people, so many of the people in the dog park, myself included, would always give him treats because even though a dog hates you, he wont deny himself food. I know corgis can be incorrigible but maybe this method will work for you. it took her more than 3 months to accomplish it, but now he does great in dog parks and doesnt even growl at people. for the barking and training of aggression, i know some mini doxie owners that used static bark collars. every time they barked or misbehavied she would zap them and they would immediately stop and come running to her. or a citronella collar for barking, but that is kind of 50/50
I have to say I would not add a corgi pup to this environment. At this age if your dog is not accepting other dogs it would require lots of training and socialization which may or may not be affective. Dogs that live a solitary life are generally quite set in their ways and sometimes are not willing to change. Do know too that all dog parks are different, some attracting more of a crowd of balanced dogs then others. The theory of dog parks are great but I must say I have heard many stories of dogs being severely injured in this situation. Impossible to have him tolerate other dogs? No....but I sure would start exposing him to well behaved and balanced dogs before I would even consider it. A training class would be a good place to start. Do know that pups have little social skills and even the best behaved adults dont necessarily tolerate the silliness of a pup.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service