So Vic and I noticed that every time Kiwi is around new dogs, whether at the dog park or just meeting them, the hair all along her spine from her neck down to her nubby tail stands straight up. Does anyone else have this happen to their pup? It normally takes it a while to go down, and even still the hair closest to her neck stays up. Is this is a sign of being threatened or simply excitement? We were just wondering because she came into contact with her first stroller tonight and it happened as soon as the stroller rounded the corner.

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are correct Carlie! It is a sign of being threaten or afraid / aware / alert, usually accompany with ears pull back.
When I was little a dog came around the corner of my grandmother's house and attacked me and the thing I remember the most was all of it's hair standing up on it's back right before it lunged..... sorry no help here, just a story lol
This happens with one of my pups, but not so much the other. Bentley has shorter fur and it sticks up--just like a ridgeback! Kristel has the really thick, fuzzy fur and it does not happen to her. However, they have very different personalities. When around another dog, usually male, Bentley barks a lot and herds, and acts intimidating at first. He succeeds in scaring dogs much bigger than him! Kristel puts her ears back and runs away whining. But after a few minutes, they end up playing with the other dog.
awwww kiwi, this is epi's daddy, if she displays corresponding signs of fear or aggression ears pinned back, growels, teeth display its time for social training! While it will take time you can get her used to meeting new folks with minimal anxiety on her and your parts. I know our corgi reads alot of her reactions out of ours, if were excited she's excited, if we are cautious she is as well. Be aware that as a pup she is also watching you as much as she is watching the other dog. As a comical side note when epi gets all bent sideways over something her fur sticks up but only at the shoulders and the bunny butt, looks so funny we start laughing. That usally causes her more confusion than anything. She's thinking she is alerting us to danger and we are laughing at her, sometimes she even looks like she's pouting and will lay down with a big huff. good luck with kiwi and let us all know how/what your doing for training we can all learn with you mark
Chloe does this too. I left 2 new trash cans on our driveway and when I took Chloe out leashless all her fur stuck up when she saw them. She started howling and barking and barking and barking. Non-stop barking. And she was just circling the trash can with all her fur sticking. It was pretty funny. She also does this when shes sleeping and the electric gate opens in our driveway. She hears it and darts away to see whos invading with her hair along her shoulders sticking up. Gets her every time. I just laugh at her.
Well, she doesn't show her teeth or growl, her hair sticks up and her ears go back, I get the impression that she's doing it more out of fear and intimidation than aggression. She loves being around other dogs, I just think she gets nervous, especially in settings like the dog park, because she's normally the smallest dog there. When she did it with the stroller, we decided that we need to bring her to more areas where there are strollers and babies, b/c she isn't used to them. We'll be sure to let you know how that goes, I'm sure it will be an adventure, as are most days with Kiwi. Thanks for all your input!
Triley did this a bunch when he was a puppy and met other dogs, but not as much anymore, since he is more used to dogs and also is neutered now. However, our trainer said that while it can be a sign of aggression or fear, it also can just be excitement. Case in point: when I picked him up at the vet after an appointment the moment he saw me all his hair stood jump and his ears went back and then he just wiggled and wiggled and gave me kisses - clearly not an aggressive moment. I would be careful nonethess though.
I just noticed this conversation, so better a year later than never! I actually notice this on my 16 month old, who loves other dogs but is a little afraid of them at the same time. Only, the only place the hackles rise is over her butt, on top of her little nub. As you say, she is usually showing a little more submissive behavior -- yes the ears are down, but she's usually turning and showing her belly or flopping onto her back. Once the other dog has sniffed, she jumps up and wants to play. Her ears are up and she doesn't show any more fear (and no aggression) -- but the fur on her butt takes a while to flatten back down. I am keeping an eye on her though, and am signing up for some obedience classes so we can work together and I can understand her better. But it does look funny!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service