When we first moved to Georgia, last September, we stayed with Lucas' uncle for a week until our rental house was "ready". We arrived in the middle of the night, no one was home. Took Ein inside, and then went back out to the car to get our stuff. We heard a long howel, and asked each other, "Is Danny here? That sounds like one his bassets?" The house was empty. Ein was the only dog around. But we had NEVER heard him howel or bay before.

Flash forward to a couple months ago. We live down the street from a fire station, so we often hear sirens. One day as a fire truck goes by, we here Tucker and Colleen barking at it. Ein barks, followed by baying. Now every single time a siren passes by the house, he bays. If the siren is a few streets down, he only barks. But if it passes the house, he bays.

I'm convinced that it was him baying back in September. I don't know WHY because there were no fire trucks. I have no clue why he started baying all of a sudden.

I know that Nick, Greg's corgi howels on occaison, as well, but I've never seen it considered to be a corgi trait. Does anyone else's corgi do this, or is it just a Zaffuto family thing?

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know when my friend kept Blaze overnight when I had to go to Knoxville for a family thing, he was howling in his crate. He may have been howling with us and we wouldnt have known it since we can't hear him. At any rate, it's interesting. hmm.. curious to see what everybody else says..
I will try and get it on video next time a fire truck goes by. It seems like every time they do something cute, they're done by the time I can grab the digital camera and turn it on. Especially if I'm in the same room as them. As soon as I get up to leave the room, they stop whatever they're doing and follow me.
There is a busy street w blocks over (A1A the major beach-road in florida) and there is ALWAYS traffic and speficially people racing up/down the street. Everytime a whining motorcycle goes by Cheez-it feels the need to do the same thing. I assume by baying you mean Howling? Like a chiche wolf would at the moon? He does that, and hes a puppy.
Yeah, very much like howling. Lucas' cousin has three basset hounds, and the first time we heard Ein bay/howel, we thought maybe Danny was in town with the dogs because the sound Ein made sounded so much like the typical howling that his bassets do.
I've never heard SIdney or Bruce do it; we've had Brucie for 2.5 years but SId only 5 months. It will be interesting to see if he picks it up. We live right off the freeway so we get the occasional siren.
Rolo bays as I fumble for the catch on his crate in the morning... usually as he's stretching and getting ready to come out for breakfast. He's also done it when waiting for anticipated treats... I'm thinking it's an "impatience" thing with him. Maybe I'm bad, but I've been secretly encouraging him because it almost sounds like he's trying to say people words. So darn adorable. I'll have an "I love you" saying corgi in no time! LOL

Sadie doesn't bay, but she will bark at anything that moves outside the house.
Charlie will howl along with any siren if we are outside in the yard, but doesn't howl if we are in the house and hear a siren.

He had me laughing out loud on one of our walks last week. A fire truck came rolling down the street toward us sirens blasting and turned at an intersection immediately in front of us. Charlie stared that big red screaming blinking monster dead in the eye and howled at it until it was safely at a distance down the street. : - )
LOL. Charlie sounds too cute. I would have loved to have seen that.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service