Ein is turning into a little calf. Is grass eating okay?

All spring long, Ein and Tucker (lab mix) have been obsessed with eating grass. Colleen (collie) will occaisonally eat a piece, but it's rare. However, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. they go outside, the boys want grass. I've taken to calling Ein our "little cow" because he'll lay down in a patch of grass and go to town.

Granted I know that grass in Georgia must smell different than grass in Louisiana, but more appetizing? We have a "forest" behind our house, so we have a lot of wildlife that comes through the yard. I'm wondering if it's just the scent that the other animals leave that make the grass apetizing?

Since both of our boys are doing this, and neither has been getting sick, I'm guessing that it's not a "I need to settle my tummy" issue. Should I be concerned about the grass eating?

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think every animal craves grass. Our cat eats grass all the time. I think it helps just with common stomach issues and helps with her hairballs because she never has any. With dogs, I think they also crave it. Their carnassial teeth are a hybrid if you want to call it that. They are part molars like our back teeth which help them eat plants such as grass. Eowyn eats grass all the time when we go out. Since we live in the desert and our backyard is just dirt and rocks, she goes nuts when we take her to the grass outside in the front of the house. She chows down on it like there's no tomorrow, but our Borzoi doesn't really eat that much. I just think some animals crave it more than others, that's why they sell those pots of grass in pet stores.
My Corgis all do the same thing. Our Lab/Golden will also eat grass. Fergie will run into the tall grass in the ditch and run out with a mouth full of green. Unless there is a chemical treatment on the grass that could cause illness, you don't have anything to worry about.
My Bandit also does this. They're crazy, aren't they? :)
LOL I was just telling my neighbors that Charlie is supposed to be a "herder", but I believe he is a "grazer" instead...the way he "chews his cud".

Back a few months ago I got concerned about it, and did a bit of research. Veterinarians are commonly asked about grass-eating from concerned owners. While it can be a sign of tummy upset, a large percentage of dogs "just like the way it tastes".

Anyway, aside from grain-free dog foods, most dog food have grains from "grain grasses". I figure Charlie's just adding some "fresh greens" to his diet. : - )
Thanks so much for making me feel better about it. We've been trying to discourage them for fear of it making them sick, but now I feel as if I can relax about it. We don't treat the lawn, and the house wasn't lived in for several years before we rented it, so I'm pretty sure there aren't any chemicals on it. Basically, the part of the yard that we fenced off for them to play in looks like a forest floor. It's mostly dirt, with just a few patches of grass.
My two corgis also eat grass like it is going out of style. They especially like the taller pieces around the patio and the fence that grow in between trimmings.

Ah.. corgis. Gotta love them!
Cheez-it in his tiny pup-hood chops the cud like instinctual behavior. They have this "pet grass" at the pet store that your dog/cat can eat, and it looks like regular grass so I imagine it is okay. So long as it is not chemically treated as others pointed out.
I'm so glad you asked this question!! I have been fighting Grover tooth and nail to get him to stop eating the grass! He does it literally EVERYTIME we go outside. I was starting to worry something was really wrong with him. We have cows (cattle, whatever!) right behind our house (they are our neighbors) and we have started joking that maybe Grover is just doing as the Romans and copy-cating the cows. :)
Good to know he's not the only one! Now I can relax and let him have at it!
I wasn't so much worried about the grass...but other stuff that grows in the grass...like wild onion, clover, shamrocks. I found out here that onion is bad for dogs so I've been discouraging Rolo from eating it just because he's an equal opportunity grazer and gives absolutely NO thought as to what goes into his mouth... bugs, bees, his own poop. He doesn't care.

He's a mess....
sounds like a Corgi
Ein is known as a "vacuum cleaner" around here, so I totally understand where you are coming from. Lucas used to always say that he'd bet just about anything that Ein would pig out until he made himself sick if we let him. Sure enough, one day when we had our foster kitty, we accidently left the cat food where Ein could reach it. The bag (almost brand new) was about half-full and there was a pile of barf next to it. That boy has absolutely no self control when it comes to anything edible.
My boy ALWAYS eats some grass. I don't know why, but he's a little lawnmower and it doesn't affect him or his digestive system. My old dog only ate if she was sick, but I think that it's something that they do by instinct (like when they weren't busy herding)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service