I read the other FURminator thread but it didn't really answer any of the questions I have about the product. So I figured I'd start a thread where all the basic questions could be answered for future reference for other MyCorgi.com members.

A little background information regarding my situation. I get Mason this coming Monday and he'll be almost 12 weeks old. He weighed 8.2lbs at 10 weeks so I am trying to get everything I need for him before this weekend.

1) What size FURminator should I get?

1b) If it is the medium size, is it alright to use on puppies?

2) Is using the FURminator really needed if they are puppies?

2b) What is the minimum size needed to use the FURminator?

3) How often should you use the FURminator?

Now a few questions for other FURminator products.

1) Does anyone use the FURminator shampoo, and if so, does it work well?

2) Does anyone use the FURminator treats?

Thanks in advance!

-Junior

Views: 6864

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1) I got a small one, it's easier for those tricky areas, other people buy medium size as well.

1b) Yes, both small and medium uses the same type of blade, just difference size, you may find it hard to reach those tricky areas.

2. It will get you started with grooming with the right tools, your corgi will shed in the first year, so yes.

2b) None.

3. I use it once a week when I sit down and watch TV, it extends my roomba's life and less vacuuming.
I'll answer what I can and hope that it helps! I got the medium, I hear people get small or medium usually, but some even get the large. My girl was the big girl in the litter and she is 10 lbs at 11 weeks according to the vet (she went yesterday). From what I have read, been told, and with my experience so far, they don't shed quite as much when they still have their puppy hair. Penelope is just getting some of her adult coat at the end of her spine, you can tell it looks less fluffy and feels stiffer, that is where her minimal shedding has been coming from. I know it will get worse, haha!

People I have asked said that the FURminator probably shouldn't be used more than twice (if that much) a week and make sure that you don't stay in one spot too long, and remember to pull up and away to avoid some skin irritation. If it does get irritated, just don't use it for a little while and take care not to accidently scratch the skin with it. You can use a bristle brush to keep neat in between FURminating. Oh, also make sure to play with your puppy and get him used to the spots he may not like when being groomed (like feet). I can't tell you anything about the other products though, sorry!
1. the groomer there recommended that i get a medium since i had a corgi, but i think a small would be ok too.
1b. i probably wouldnt use the furminator until the puppy got the adult coat. the furminator is mainly used to weed the undercoat which is the cause of the profuse shedding.
2. Scout is 5 months now and it gets ridiculously hot in Davis, Ca for no good reason. He has been shedding like crazy and the furminator is the only thing keeping the hair under control.
2b. i dont think there is a minimum. i think its a matter of whether or not your dog has a double coat.
3. that is listed the the guide but you can also find that info on furminator.com, i think its no more than once a week.

1. my furminator actually came with the dry shampoo spray and it smells better than the puppy shampoo (not too fond of the baby powder scent)
2. i have yet to use the furminator treats so i have no idea how they work.
1) What size FURminator should I get? I have the small one because I use it on the cats as well as the dog. If your corgi is going to be standard size (24-28lbs) you can use either the small or the medium. They're the same, just size different. With a small, you'll just take more strokes.

1b) If it is the medium size, is it alright to use on puppies? Absolutely! You want your pup to get used to being brushed and shed. Better to train now. Also be sure to massage their feet, ears, mouth and rear end so they can handle toenail clipping, ear cleaning, toothbrushing and anal gland expression. It's all a part of grooming!

2) Is using the FURminator really needed if they are puppies? Yes, they still shed.

2b) What is the minimum size needed to use the FURminator? See #1

3) How often should you use the FURminator? Furminator recommends once a month to avoid over-stripping the coat. Otherwise, you can use a soft pin-brush.

1) Does anyone use the FURminator shampoo, and if so, does it work well? Clients who use it like it. I don't use it because if I groom my dog on a regular basis, I've found I don't need it.

2) Does anyone use the FURminator treats? No, but I do have clients who buy them. Basically, they're an Omega 3/6 fatty acid. If you're feeding a quality organic/natural food, you should be getting this in your food. If not, it's cheaper to simply add a bit of fish oil to your dog's diet.

Hope that helps!
I have a furminator but I have to say that for Tiki (1.5 years old) it works wonders...But Cruise, who is only 5 months, is only now just getting his thicker fur with undercoat...for his soft puppy fur he really did not shed too much to use it.
It's not necessarily important as a shedding tool when they're pups, but it helps to get them acquainted with it so they won't balk when you use it. When we first used it on our clan, we got a trash bag full of hair. With ours, we could make an extra corgi everyday just from the hair!!!!! :-)
I don't use mine yet either, but I do have a double sided soft bristle/pin brush that I do a few strokes everyday to get her used to grooming. We also play with her feet and ears to get her used to that. The vet I see makes us do that b/c they think every dog owner should be able to clip their dogs nails, etc. They ask us to clip a nail everyday so we don't overwhelm them (doen't really have much to do with this, but it is part of grooming). This doesn't either, but I'm curious...Now, the rear, I didn't think corgis needed anal gland expression as much as say a beagle or bulldog, but I'm just starting to hear they might need this. How often and what exactly is done? And, speaking of feet, the hairs b/w the toes should be clipped every so often, how often? And how that is done?
Whenever your dog is bathed, the anal glands should be expressed. Most med/lg dogs don't have issues with them unless they have a period of soft stools. Generally their poop is big enough and hard enough to express them naturally. But sure enough, there'll come a time when it needs to be done and your dog isn't used to....whew!
I chose the medium sized and it works great for me. Puppies generally will not need this tool however it would be a good idea to use it very gently with them so they become accostumed to it. On an adult dog you would do well to use it once weekly and more frequently when they are blowing coat. There are a few other useful grooming tools that are most useful as well. I have not used their other products. A warm bath will loosen lots of dead hair so any shampoo will work well.
we use ours on winnie like once a week or so and she is 6 months. i figure with shoe box sized furballs coming off of her it is needed... winnie started really shedding at about 3-4 mos before that we used a regular soft brush, which she still prefers to the furminator.
Thanks for this helpful discussion! I had the exact same questions about getting a furminator.

1) What size FURminator should I get?

Medium, I used it from puppy to adult size.

1b) If it is the medium size, is it alright to use on puppies?

Yes, just be gentle. A puppy doesn't really have a full undercoat yet to be furminated, but you should start early so as to allow them to grow accustomed to being brushed/furminated.

2) Is using the FURminator really needed if they are puppies?

See ablove.

2b) What is the minimum size needed to use the FURminator?

None.

3) How often should you use the FURminator?

Once a week at least. It doesn't pull out hair, rather it pulls hair that is already loose from the undercoat.

1) Does anyone use the FURminator shampoo, and if so, does it work well?

I had this done at a salon once, but you have to use it 4-6 times to see results, as the groomer said. I didn't think it was worth it if it took that many times to see results. I'm fine with just brushing with the furminator and a normal shampoo.

2) Does anyone use the FURminator treats?

No. Although I see that more as a marketing ploy and extension of their brand to make money. I'll leave the treat making to companies dedicated to that (dog food companies).

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service