Okay, so Penelope is chewing up a storm. In fact, I had to put her in a kennel to write this. She has already ruined a rug with me watching her, telling her no, and giving her an actual chew toy to try to teach her what is appropriate chewing. It doesn't work. She goes right back to it, material and threads get caught in her teeth and I have to sit there and pick it all out. She just barks back at me. I'm doing what everyone says to do and it just gets worse. If the bitter apple I'm going to pick up tonight doesn't work, I have no idea what I'll do to help correct this behavior. What am I doing wrong?

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How long does it take the puppies to fingure out the cube? I watched the video, it looks great! Would you suggest the big one or the small one?
Charlie hasn't completely figured it out at 11 months. It will keep him entertained, but he barks and barks at it...which annoys me...he has a really sharp, ear-piercing bark when he starts going. LOL We mainly do all our play and "be hyper" out in the backyard several times a day, so he's fairly content to sit in the recliner and nap when we're inside anyway. I pretty much quick giving him the Buster Cube...I should take it outside and see what he does with it! I think it would be a lifesaver if I worked out of the house...and didn't have to listen to him bark at it. : - )

I didn't know there were two sizes. Charlie inherited his from my last dog (one toy that can't be destroyed!). It's about 6 inches square I think.
Cheez-it barks annoyingly at the cube too. I have the bigger red one, which I believe is to big for a puppy, because he wouldnt touch it 3 weeks ago, but now he is fine with it. I get past the barking and enjoy my free time lol.
Megan,
Take a deep breath and slow down. Penelope is going to be with you for the next 15 years or so. You have lots of time! LOL Puppies learn and communicate with their environment through their mouths and it's good that you know this already.

First, I don't know if anyone else has told you this, but really consider tethering her to you or your husband when she is out of the crate. This will not only help avoid the behavior, but form a close bond between you. Next, make sure that you establish a routine that includes floor time. Meaning you are on the floor with her, playing. This should probably be for 30 minutes or more at a time. Puppies and dogs really don't just play by themselves much. Do you have a yard? If so, sit down in the grass or on the patio and play one on one with her. At this age approximately 30-45 minutes of this should tire her out pretty well. Remember, a tired dog is a happy dog and in the case of puppies, a sleepy one. During the play you can also start on the retrieving. Toss a toy out in front of you and this should trigger a pouncing response. Keep the toy within your reach though so you can pick it up again and do the same thing. Find a toy she likes and use that consistently. She's probably barking at you to interact. Remember, that's her only form of communication at this age. As she grows there will be other forms.

If she's tethered to you, the chewing on the rug, etc. shouldn't be possible. When you have things to do where it's not possible, then put her in the crate again. It's not cruel to do this. Just don't use the crate for punishment. Instead move the tether to a fixed location, like a door knob or they make tie downs that you can put on the bottom of a door. Also, make sure that you tire her out. That's what she's used to when she was with her littermates. They play, play, play until they basically fall over and take a nap. You need to do the same thing, except under your control...... LOL During these play times is when everything comes together for pups, bite inhibition, potty training, jumping up, etc. In otherwards if she's engaged, she shouldn't have time to chew up stuff. Surprisingly, in using the crate, tethering, and a constant eye, Timmy only chewed up one thing, a throw rug. He never touched the furniture or shoes or anything else, because he was supervised 99.6% of the time, while out of the crate.

Tethering is a nuisance initially, but becomes easy. Pretty soon you'll get used to having company with you EVERYWHERE, bathroom, kitchen, computer desk, taking out the garbage, weeding flowerbeds, dusting, etc. After a few stepped on toes with accompanying squeeks, she'll become aware of feet and watch out for them. Saves tripping over them later, believe me. While you're doing chores or work in the kitchen, occasionally stop and pet her, say a few words of praise or let her know how you appreciate the help. (Just kidding)

Essentials for success:
Routine-including scheduled times, morning and evenings, one-on-one
Discipline-Consistent guidance by both your husband and you in rules of the house
Exercise, exercise, and more exercise

Hope I haven't bored you with this long post.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service