Since I work at PetSmart and am a trainer, I have a unique interest in what foods people use for their dogs. One of my training modules is on canine nutrition and I'd love to hear what folks feed and why they chose the brand they use.

Views: 2199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We feed Nature's Recipe. The dogs enjoy it. Trunks is allergic to wheat products, so switching was a neccessity.

We did feed Canidae when I lived in Wyoming. I think that is a wonderful food to feed your dog. All human grade ingredients. We can't find it around here. I couldn't find any good food until the Petco opened in 2006.
I feed Blaze "Eagle Pack" food, it is made locally, so I know it's safe, plus it's what his breeder fed him. Only complaint is the "fishy gas" that he gets from it sometimes!! :-P Hopefully the adult food that I am slowly rationing in to the rest of his puppy kibble will have less anchovy oil in it!!
if you add a bit of water to thier kibble, and allow the kibble chunks to swell up a bit, this REALLY helps with gas! And a bowl that is slightly raised off the ground and more "mouth-level" also really helps if you haven't already tried all these things yet. Plus another added bonus is that it helps prevent Bloat! Corgis can certainly clear a room with their gas, can't they :P !
Both of our boys eat Innova dry kibble (not EVO) with carrots and greenbeans as filler/treats. We selected this food because the ingredient list was wonderful when we picked it out for our first cat. As time has gone by, we've put every pet on Innova and all have thrived, not having any medical problems, no gas, good poo.
We feed our dogs mostly raw meats and bones (including the occasional whole prey), but when we feed kibble we feed canidae. Our cats have felidae down at all times, but get raw foods daily, including whole bones for them to chew.

I've found the benefits of feeding raw to be well worth the extra time it takes to feed the raw diets (going to the farms and butchers, packing the food in the freezers, and thawing them at the right times, and cleaning up the mess when we feed inside) All our dogs have perfect shiny teeth, as do the cats. My 6 year old Cardi has NEVER had his teeth done, nor has our 4 year old mix and they are perfectly pearly white, and spotless. The new tech at the vet clinic didn't believe my Cardi was almost 6, and the vet has asked where I had their teeth done at while we're in routine visits, and been shocked they've never been done! (He assumed I'd gone to another clinic ;0P)
Do you ever get over the coppery smell? I wouldn't mind doing raw for all of our critters but the copper smell kills me.
Ya know, I'm not even really sure what you're talking about! I grew up on a farm, and during classes for animal science in both high school, and college have spent time in slaughter houses. I also know how to butcher my own animals.... I've never been bothered by meat, or dead animals, but that may simply be I'm used to being around it.

If you are able to, many people do feed raw outdoors, where they can hose the area out. I know many multiple dog, raw feeders who keep large plastic kennels outside for each dog to eat in, and the crate is hosed and bleached out after the dogs eat. I know from experience that dogs like to carry their food around sometimes, so IMO it's best to keep them closed in in some manner so they don't drag it into the living room, or plop it on their bed! *giggle*
what your smelling is the iron found in blood cells.
We feed the Fluffy Trio Timberwolf Organics. It is always rated in the top 10% of dry dog foods and my 3 love the different types.
I am feeding both of my Cardigans the Innova Evo Red Meat small bites. They devour it instantly, they have nice, shiny coats, and my older one had allergies (eye boogers, itchy skin) before (from grain fillers in other foods?). No allergies anymore. My male has also lost a bit of fat, and put on lean muscle. I'm impressed with it, but you have to watch that you're also not feeding treats with grain....that may also bother any allergies.
I currently feed Maggie Blue Buffalo fish and sweet potato. I switched several months ago from a Nutro food because she was itching a lot and was getting little sores around her rear and a big hot spot under her tail (she has a small one). The vet just assumed it was fleas but I knew it wasn't because I had never seen a flea on her. After doing some research I decided to treat it as an allergy and switched her food and she is doing great now.
Interesting. I've had several folks switch to Blue because of allergies. It's a good one to try, too, since it has no wheat, corn and is gluten free. Glad you've had such good luck with it. (And the fish diet does wonders for their coat and skin.)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service