Hi everyone,
I recently purchased my pup last week he is about 9 weeks old. He was diagnosed with kennel cough on tuesday (the poor thing) and was put on doxycycline. I notice that the little guy poops ALL THE TIME! It's not loose stools, it's definetly some poop!
I was just wondering if anyone else's corgi poops a lot? I don't know if it's the medicine?
My little Fenway is going between 6-8 times a day. If anyone has any input on this I would greatly appreciate it!!!
Thanks!

Views: 110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it seems like a lot, but my girl is almost 12 weeks and goes probably 6 times a day. But, she burns through whatever she eats and I think at least 2 of 6 times, she gets distracted with some other dog or noise and doesn't finish. There are some times where she just went and will go again soon after. Its little those times. Btw, she went to the vet Monday, we just got her Sunday, and he asked about her bm, how much, I said at least 4 times and he didn't say that anything was wrong with it since it was always normal.
it could be what youre feeding him. i noticed that once i stopped mixing in the food the breeder used (high in grain filllers) with canidae, his 5-6 times over 24hr pooping decreased to 3-4 times. check out ur treat ingredients as well.
also they go more when thyre younger.
Try to break treats into the smallest pieces possible. Doxycycline is used to prevent Malaria, I took it for a few months of my own (human) life spent in South Africa. (Apparently us North-Americans have a low immunity to the disease), It messes you up pretty good. It causes terrable nightmares, dehydrates you pretty good, and also MUST be taken after you eat or else you face a pretty undesirable stomache feeling. I would be willing to bet it is the medicine, plus, puppies poop alot.

Oh yeah, make sure he has plenty of water, and mabye add a teaspoon of no-sodium Chicken broth to his water to get him to drink tons during the day. (He will also pee more because of this).
I would suspect he was being fed a low quality food with lots of fillers. More fillers more poop. I would find a premium quality food which I think you will find will change his output. Kennel cough is akin to a cold/flu of which there are many strains. This is not unusual to be seen where dogs are kept in large amounts or from dogs that have been shipped. Most bouts of kennel cough are self limiting much like a cold though care should be taken that they do not develop secondary infections. Putting your boy on an antibiotic was a good call. Hope he is feeling better soon.
Doxycycline is brutal, I was on it for a while to fight my infection, man that stuff tore me up, I had bad stomach ache which you leads to "you know what". Usually doctor prescribe it with Rx strength pepto. So I'm sure it contributed to the poop load :) How many times do you feed your pup in a day? More feeding = more poop too.
Thanks for all of your input!!! Our pup is on science diet food and I was told thats a pretty good brand?? He eats twice a day and sometimes doesn't finish all of his food because he is easily distracted! He is drinking water like crazy. We have LOTS on hand for him. We actually bought a water bottle that attaches to his cage that way the little guy always has access to his water!
I think it may be a combo of his meds and just being a pup!
Again I appreciate all of your comments, you guys definetly gave me useful advice :)
Fenway says thanks too!!!!
Let's hope poops get less :)
I got Charlie at 10 1/2 weeks, and had forgotten how much puppies poop. He pooped 5-6 times a day for quite a while. The last few months, he has decided not to poop in his backyard and "hold it" until we take our long walk in the morning. In a one hour walk, he poops 3 times so I never leave without having 4 poop-scoop bags in case he has a "Oh wait, one more" thing. LOL

Anyway as Katy brought up in another post, you might want to rotate his food a bit. You might find he poops less with a different brand of food.

I would suggest any of the "5-Star" puppy or all-life-stages brands (link below) from the dog food analysis site:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showcat.php?cat=3&a...

Some of the five-star foods are not easy to find in many areas. The "4--Star" foods (link below) are of decent quality, may be easier to find, and can be supplemented with a little additional skinless chicken or beef to make up for being a bit grain heavy.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showcat.php/cat/4/p...
The medicine may have some impact, but the vet probaby doesn't have him on a very high dose or he likely would have recommended that you give him something like tagament or other "pepto" type supplement. You can expect loose stools with the medication, but it sounds like you are lucking out here. The suggestions for swithching to a high value food are good. It might be hard to gauge the impact on his elimination until he is off the doxycycline. Good luck and Congratulations on the new puppy...so much fun!
We have Lily on Science Diet. She does not poop much at all. We usually have 2-3 poop piles in the kennel to pick up. On a bad day, if she has gotten a frog or something, there is a little more. We pick it up daily so we have a pretty good idea on how often she is going. You might try changing the food. It helps a lot!
Thanks everyone :)
Since posting this, my little guy has actually started to go to the bathroom less each day! I think he was getting used to his surroundings, and I had switched his food the day I posted my original question. So, I think overall it was a combo of everything that everyone has said. Sure enough the past 2-3 days his poop has gotten less. Only 2 times today! I think Fenway finally has got his bowels under control :)
Vet visit on June 3rd, hopefully we have a healthy little puppy!!!
Thanks everyone :)
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have a question along these lines.

I'm having issues with Roscoe's poop. Last night and today, he's going in the middle of the night and during the day, when before he would just hold it until I got home. He had issues with diarrhea a couple of weeks ago. The poop isn't solid, but it's not really diarrhea quality either - and there's a LOT of it (like a pile or two). This has happened sporadically over the past month or so.

I'm in the process of switching him from Chicken Soup for the Puppy's Soul to a Wellness Chicken adult formula. Yesterday I gave him a frozen kong filled w/ peanut butter and kibble, and I though maybe this upset his tummy (although he's had them before and never had an effect like this). I'm not feeding him this afternoon, and will feed him tomorrow morning. I'd been putting a bit of pumpkin in his food to help keep his stools solid.

I was thinking the cause of the diarrhea a few weeks ago was new treats I was giving him, along with the puppy food not really agreeing with him. Any suggestions as to what could be causing the excessive poop, and him not holding it as he used to?
Thanks for the advice. Right now I'm at 75% Wellness 25% Chicken Soup, so we'll see how it goes.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service