We just got our 10-week old puppy from his breeder yesterday. We found that he breathes really fast (about twice per second). When he falls asleep, we can tell how fast he is breathing by looking at his belly or listen to him. Is breathing so fast normal? He doesn't seem to feel any uncomfortable.

Views: 8073

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When we got our puppy, he was 16 weeks. He breathed really fast when he was excited (pretty much all the time). He didn't breathe fast in his sleep, though. Good luck, hope you get some good answers.
It seems to be perfectly normal. I remember having some concern over it when I got Charlie at 10.5 weeks. He'd breathe very very fast, then slow to "normal", then fast again while he napped. I don't know why they do it, but I figure it may have to do with their rapid growth including lungs and organs growing, or they may just be regulating their temperature. Even now, Charlie's breathing rate varies in speed when he sleeps. It's just not a pronounced as when he was tiny...or I've gotten used to it. : - )
Thank you guys. To Charlie: have you ever checked your 'Charlie''s heart or lungs concerning his breathing issue? Also, is your Charlie active and does he play a lot? My puppy has not been very active since we brought him home yesterday. I don't know whether it is because he is in this 'transition' phase or because of his breathing issue. I imagine that if a dog breathes too fast, he won't feel comfortable moving or running, so that he tends to be inactive? Thanks a lot!
Oh, yes. Charlie is as healthy and fit as he can be. His breathing is normal. We walk 2.5 miles every morning. We were walking another mile in the evening, but it's been over 100 degrees at sunset lately, so we've been skipping that walk and playing in the yard more after sunset, later at night. We also play soccer, fetch, and "chase away the birds and squirrels" for about an hour before our walk.

I did reply to your thread on the inactivity. It was a l-o-n-g reply, so I won't repeat any of it here. LOL
I remember my Eowyn breathing quickly. I think they might be hot, due to their fur is suppose to keep them nice and warm. I think it's normal. Good luck!
Thanks a lot, guys!!!
I've noticed that our Emma breathes very rapidly when she sleeps too, so I'm glad it apparently doesn't mean much. She's 10 weeks old and is very active, just a regular ball of energy! She has to return to the vet in a couple of weeks, so I'll try to remember to ask about it then, just to be sure.
OMG , so it's not just me? My boys are 9 weeks old and they're doing this. Scares the bejeebers outta me sometimes, so i kinda poke them to wake them up. But i'm getting used to this. I actually just googled this and came to this thread. I'm a new corgi mom, so this is all very new and different. But other than that, theyre fine.
Corgis for life... best choice you ever made.
My dog Maggie breaths fast and loud and for long periods of time after she works out. It used to freak me out, but after four years I've gotten used to it!
Adora did when we picked her up at 8 weeks as they grow it slows down, when we brought home Rhun when he was 8 months old his breathing was really fast and loud but is calmed down in about a week.
If you are that concerned about your puppy you should not hesitate about seeing your vet. Everyone has good advice but know that your vet will give you the best evaluation.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service