Ok, so I am not familiar with eating habits of dogs yet. Some days I go out to feed Lily and she has eaten every morsel of food. Then I can go out and there is the whole bowl of food left. I do feed her twice a day, in the morning and in the evening. I split the amount recommended by the bag. My question is this, is it okay that certain days she eats, and some she doesn't? Her stool is fine, so I know it is not the bacteria that the vet told us about. Can the heat cause her not to want to eat? I know, I sound like a new mother LOL but she is my first dog in many many years, and first pet (besides the rabbit) in 4 years. Thanks in advance :)

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It does! Thank you. I will keep an eye on her. Last night she had only eaten very little, but I went ahead and fed her like usual.
I agree with Katy about picking up any uneaten food after about 30 minutes. From your post on another thread, you are raising Lily outside in a run? More reason to pick up uneaten food. It could attract ants or other insects, and even field mice, rats, or snakes that can get in and out of the run.

The heat could definitely cause her some loss of appetite too. We've already had a week of temperatures over 100 degrees here in Texas (much sooner than normal years). If the temperature or heat index is over 90 degrees, Corgis don't do very well outdoors. Make sure she has the extra shade of a dog house in her run, and some grass in the shade, and always a fresh supply of cool water. Water can get really warm outside too, and won't cool the dog down. You might also want to check out some of the cooling pads that stay cold for up to 8 hours for her to lie on, or bring her indoors during the heat of the day. She'd probably much prefer to be inside with you anyway. ; )
Yes, Lily is in a run. We have it covered with a tarp to avoid the rain and to keep her cool, in addition to her dog house. It has been around 90 here but the humidity has been awful. I will start picking up her food, maybe that will help her. I was also going to look into putting some ice out in her water. Do you all think that would help? The cooling pads, where would I begin to look for those? Did not see anything like that at PetsMart. I will probably bring her in with us during the heat of the day, if I am home at that time.That is a good idea. She would love it more than anything. Thanks!!!
Some ice in her water will help temporarily (until the ice melts). Keeping her inside during the heat if you can would be the best thing.

If you type "dog cool mat", "dog cool bed", and "dog cool pad" in a search engine, you'll find lots of brands and different types of outdoor cooling pads. Some of them you wet down, some you stick in the freezer overnight, some are filled with water. This is just one example:
http://www.roshgo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=rc01/CTGY/00904
Thank you Charlie. I appreciate the information and will be looking into this. I am really worried about her and her eating. I wish that our landlords would allow her to be indoor, but I am willing to do everything that I can to make sure that outside is not terrible. The mat will be a good thing. I have to keep telling myself that it is only a year, then we are moving. She will be an indoor dog then :)
Well, I have Lily in the house today. She is sooooo nosey! LOL It is so cute though, how she is investigating every nook and cranny in the kitchen. I hope that she will eat also. She did not eat last night. If she does not eat today, I am going to take her to the vet for a check. I worry so much, but sometimes it is something that I do need to worry about. Thanks again everyone :)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service