Well here in Holland all the corgi breeders have to obay by certain rules, if they want to breed within our club. Like there (the corgi`s you want to breed with) eyes have to be free of any disease or anything thats wrong with them.

Also all the corgi`s we want to breed with have to get there hips tested for HD (hip dysplasy). And cant have anything wrong with there hips.

Hows that in other countries?

Also what are the most commen diseases in the corgi breed in other countries?

Views: 167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it is a great idea! I heard stories about how dogs in Japan are prone to genetic diseases due to inbreeding, that's why there is a lot of importing going on over there.

I think here in the US we try to do the same, but in the mid west there's a lot of puppymill and it's just sad.
Yes, unfortunately puppymills are everywhere in the U.S. Working as a veterinary assistant in the southeast I see far more puppies from these "breeders" that almost always have at least one health problem that is with that puppy for life. I have extremely little tolerance, if any, for the puppymill owners. Their greedy priority is to make money not the animal's welfare or health.
Genetic testing is one of the things that separates a breeder from a reputable breeder. Mother Nature allows the dog to breed on its own without any help from people. Part of being a reputable breeder is knowing about the inherent characteristics of the breed, selecting good qualities that are apt to mesh in the breeding, researching pedigrees and evaluating temperment. I think it is always an added bonus to see dogs with titles at both ends. I think it is great when a breed maintains the ability to do the job they were originally bred for as well as the drive to do it.

Hi, We have a tri-coloured named Bear. Bear since 8 or 9 months has had a strange skin illness. She lost pigment in her skin and it's very thin. She does not develop callus's (can't spell it), so her feet have sores on them. We are now not sure if she causes the sores herself, or if they develop due to the skin ailment. She licks a lot and seems to cause a lot of damage herself. She's not the healthiest dog now. They say it's something Shelties get. Has anyone run into it before? Any tips would be helpful. We love her and want her to last. She's nine now and has great attitude if not much energy.

Have a good one,
Jane
Jane, has their been any diagnosis by a veterinarian? Where did this pup come from, have you contacted the breeder? What you are describing could be allergies, an autoimmune disorder or reaction to some sort of continued exposure to something her body finds toxic. She is a darling girl. I hope you find the answer.
Hi Sam,

Yes, they say it's a word that has about 100 letters but when you look it up it's nothing. Ailment to the skin. We put her on a allergy pill and it does help as she sneezes but...? We did contact the breeder and they offered to take her back. Like we'd give her up now.

They were horrified, I hope it was real! Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to read up on them and see if anything sticks out. What do you think of raw food for dogs? Think it has any merit?
Hi Jane....what are you feeding? And how old is Bear? Sometimes these issues can be the food your using, as well. When we went organic for our clan, it helped tremendously. Tank is a master at feet licking/chewing. Some of the others are lickers. Some have skin allergies. But changing their food to all natural, organic has been a godsend.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service