My 15 year old Cardigan was flat as a pancake two days ago. This has happened a few times over the years, mimicking symptoms of diagnosed Lyme disease when he was a young dog. Doxycycline has always worked, and so I keep some on hand. When my dog would not get up the other day, I gave him a course of Doxycycline, and then took him to the vet later that day when an appointment opened up.

Some notes:
-My dog has been a low dose of Prednisone for some time, for hind quarter pain.
-DM has been ruled out, by the way

At the Vet visit, my vet took a blood sample and prescribe Tramadol for any pain. By about 8 pm that night, before any Tramadol was administered, my dog was quite improved - as had been my experience in the past owing to Doxycyline.

BUT here's why I am writing:

1. The next day my vet called. The blood tests showed my dog to be anemic slightly.
2. Of more concern, his blood work showed massively high levels of certain liver enzymes (ALT, AST) and mildly high levels of GGT.

My vet prescribed Baytril, Metronidazole, and Denosyl: all antibiotics.

HELP!! Can anyone share thoughts?

Views: 203

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Elevated Liver Enzymes can be a few things:

Side effect of medication, such as certain nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), antibiotics or anti-seizure medications

Obesity

Diabetes

Elevated triglycerides

Infection (kidney, bladder, urinary...etc.)

Tumors of the liver

Treatment of elevated liver enzymes depends on its cause. It is important to talk to your Vet.
The only thing that I've had him on is a Chinese anti-inflammatory qiylian. He is fit and trim at 28 lbs. I am hoping these #s go down, the prescribed antibiotics work. But I am fearful. Thanks for your thoughts.
One thing you might ask your vet about is starting a regiment of Milk Thistle. It is known to help with liver toxicity. I might reduce the amount and quantity of other medication prescribed. Also, whenever you receive a serious diagnosis and feel uncomfortable at all, please seek a second opinion. Your own vet should not object.

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, here's hoping that medication helps and you'll have a few more years with your companion.
Thanks for mentioning Milk Thistle! That stuff is awesome for the liver!
Your regular vet is unlikely to be very knowledgeable about things like milk thistle or qiylian. A holistic vet would be informed on more homeopathic treatments. If your dog does not improve on the current antibiotics in a reasonable period of time, I would get a second opinion and perhaps seek out a holistic vet.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service