Abby does not make accidents in the house anymore unless it is a dyer emergency and she will usually give us clues that she has to go but we miss them.

However, the past couple weeks she has been peeing whenever i reac down tact o pet her when i get home, (i wont act excited, just pet her). also she will do submissive peeing, if i tell her to come and she doesnt i will get a more stern voice and she will come and i will reach down to praise her for coming and she will pee and roll over.

I never punish her, always praise her and when i get home i never get excited, i greet her and walk away.

Is there anyway i can get her to stop or do u think she will outgrow it? she is only 9 months.

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would immediately take her outside upon arriving home. No pets, no conversation no eye contact. A more stern voice will only cause her worry. With beginning behaviors it is best to break the pattern. Continuing the status quo when you are experiencing a problem will only reinforce the problem.
At this age it is good to keep a consistent routine if you are not able to recognize when she is asking to go out. It is your response to her request that teach her how to ask to go out. If you miss her cue regularly she has no clear way to communicate to you her needs.
Not uncommon for housetraining to slide a bit at this age. Keep a good solid routine. Her success depends on your consistency. Good luck!
I am glad you brought this up! My boyfriend's 10 month old german shepard does this, he is soo smart, and knows when he is being naughty. When you come up on him being naughty or he disobeys an instruction, he will either run away, and/ or pee. I am excited to hear what the people here have to say!
The young GSD response is concerning. Sounds like he is a sensitive guy who is perhaps being over corrected. At 10 months they really are not disobeying an instruction but probably are not quite solid to the direction yet. I suspect this is a conditioned response by voice or body language displayed at these times. I think finding more confidence building things would make this a more solid dog. Something to think about.
I think that both of your of your suggetions are correct unfortunately he is not my dog and i can't convince my boyfriend to use positive training GRRRR. My boyfriend got him at 4 weeks GRRR! so that might have something to do with the sensitivity. I am trying my best to build his confedence and security with praise, treats and love! I think he has a very a clear idea that picking up the cat is not ok, he pauses and looks at us and does it any way. I have read several books about parenting your puppies and positive training, and have tried to bring in a trainer to work with both my boyfriend and myself, however i quit wasting my money, because my boyfriend wouldn't follow through. This is the first puppy I have been around sense I was a young girl. Any advice is great. Thanks for your imput
Unfortunately, if your boyfriend isn't buying into the same training methods, the dog will get confused and never learn...or even try to take over the leadership position in the house if he isn't getting consistent signals from his humans.

Is he hiking his leg when he pees inside after ignoring a command (versus squatting and crouching down)? It could be that he is testing his place in the pack to gain dominance, not being a submissive pee-er. Picking up the cat right in front of you sounds like he's becoming the "alpha dog". You have to really insist he follow the human rules of the house. First you've got to get your BF to buy in.
Dogs will normally outgrow excited peeing, but submissive peeing is a bit different. Excited peeing is where the dog is so happy to see you that they just can't contain themselves. Literally. They dribble or pee a bit from pure happiness. With age and bladder control, they normally stop on their own.

Sounds like Abby is exhibiting submissive peeing, giving the symptoms of not wanting to come to you and the peeing then rolling over on her back. You obviously are not trying to threaten her, but in her mind she feels threatened for whatever reason. Your body language needs to project that you are not a threat. Using a stern voice to get her to come could be perceived as a threat, so I would not sternly get her to come to you. Do not look her directly in the eye. Either ignore her completely for a few minutes when you get home, or look at her back or tail instead of in the eyes. Turning your body to the side or turning you back on her should be more calming, whereas standing fully face forward directly at the dog can be perceived as a challenge/threat. When you do pet her, kneel down closer to her level instead of leaning or bending over her head. Scratch her under the chin instead of moving your hand over her head to pet. Shy/fearful/submissive dogs should response positively over time to your changes in your body language and approach to her that should help improve her confidence.

Do you think anyone in your family may have behaved in a threatening manner to her? Anyone yelling at her a lot? It is a little unusual for submissive peeing to start at 9 months. She is however in her second fear imprint period, when dogs can get "spooked" by things or people without the person intending to harm or scare the dog. Things that the dog perceives as "scary" at this age can have a lasting effect on their personality, so try to get your whole family on board with treating Abby gently to build up her confidence. Reward her a lot when she shows confidence and obeys commands (I think you're already trying to do that).
Well, to clear this up, i never talk to her in a stern voice, it is more of a comand voice, usually i give a command with a happy voice, but if they dont listen it is more of a serious (but not stern and never yelling). Secondly, the only time i ever really see her submissive peeing is when it is bed time, as soon as i get up to let them out for the last time (around 10) she will run to her crate and curl in a ball and refuse to come out, that is the only time she ever disobeys me, she does it almost every night, once she is outside she hurries up and does her buisness, if we leave her in her crate she will wake us up in the middle of the night.---oh and when she does come i try reward her with a good girl and a pet, but that is when she pees, i think she thinks i am going to hit her, so i will try the scratch under the chin)...the only other time is when my dad gets home, he does not understand the positive reenforcement he thinks she doesnt come, i need to yell at her and flip her over to her belly... i tell him that was not nescesary, but he does not understand.

It is also funny how she seems to have a lot of confidence, rough housing with me, dominating over trevor and megan, chasing me around the yard (when we are playing) but she seems to know when she does bad...

Lastly what should i do when she does pee on the floor? if i sy no i feel like i would reenforce the submissiveness, but if i egnore it i feel like she does not get the message...what should i do?
People think dogs know when they are bad. This just really isnt the case. Dogs do not look at a situation and think "well I know this isnt right but I will do it anyway" Nope dogs just go about life. They dont know if their favorite chew item at the moment is an expensive shoe or a toy. That is what we need to teach them.
As to running to the crate it is clear that she is experiencing anxiety at this moment. You perceive it as disobeying and I can assure you she is picking up on your feelings. You can simply close the crate door before it is time to go out and totally avoid this issue.
What you need to do is change your routine. One should never attempt to be stern or punish a submissive dog. Even a command voice is too much for this situation.
Too bad dad and bf feel the need to be so forceful. I think this may be part of the problems you are having.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service