Daisy hurt her left rear leg and has been limping for days now..

I HATE to go to the vet only to have them tell me it's a sprain and have to shell out $100 for an X-Ray. Here's what happened: We took the dogs out to an open field for a run-me at one end and my husband on the other. He let them go with their leashes still attached and they both run full speed toward me on the other end. All the sudden Daisy stops dead in the center and sits down. I go towards her and she starts limping putting no pressure on her left rear leg at all. I look for burs because there are MANY of them in Texas and see nothing and I feel for breaks and feel no swelling and no breaks. She never yelped or cried either so I know it wasn't broken. I pinched her foot to test for nerve damage and she gently pulled it away so I know she felt it. I think she must have stepped on her leash dragging behind her and twisted her ankle but it's been 5 days now and she's only barely putting the tiniest bit of pressure. Anyone have any ideas. She never cries like she's in pain but acts like it's very tender to put pressure on. Should I wait to see if it improves?

Views: 143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Something minor would probably have resolved or improved in 24-48 hours. At five days, I would definitely take her to a vet. Untreated leg injuries can turn into much worse problems, and having her put all the pressure on her right leg increases the risk of her injuring it in addition to the left leg. I'd keep her a calm and quiet (no running/jumping) until you can have her diagnosed.
It would be money well spent. Torn ligaments can be most painful and cause long time damage. After five days I do not think it is a mild sprain. Let us know how it all turns out.
Well, I have to wait till Monday reguardless so we'll see if she keeps improving. We took them on a walk earlier and my husband noticed she was putting some weight on it more. I'm with her all the time so it's hard to tell little by little. If it was a torn ligament or tendon or whatever does anyone know if she'd still be able to put weight on it? I'm really thinking it's a bad sprain but I'll see how she's doing on Monday. Pray for her people. Surgery sucks for her and it's a big drain financially too. Not to mention emotionally for her and me. :(
Hi. I just found this site and I just took my dog for xrays today. He has an ligament tear in his back knee and it has arthritis around it. I would defanitly go to get xrays. He has been hobbling for a couple weeks, but he always put weight on it (never lifted his leg off the ground at all). We assumed it was just a muscle strain since he would put weight on it. Found out today it is a tear. It's really important to get the xray and have the doctor examine your dogs leg while your dog is sedated. When she is sedated she won't tense up and the doctor can really find out what's going on. My dog never cried in pain and you never know. It's been very emotional today, but at least know we know what we have to do to make him better. Good luck.
Aww, gosh that's awful. At least it's fixable-not the arthritis but the tear. I am hoping it's nothing like that with her. I'll do some research on that though. Over the weekend she's improved to where she's putting pressure on it most of the time but not all the way and she's is able to retract her foot so it does move normally. I'm going to give her another week. As long as she's improving I'll let her have time. I'm getting more and more convinced it's a sprain. She needs to rest it and I think it's taking so long to heal is that she doesn't know the meaning of rest. lol! But don't worry I WON'T let her limp forever. If it does not improve she WILL be seeing the vet. My dogs are my kids =) I love them to death. Hope your doggy heals up well!
Ok, you all, she is doing better every day I'm happy to say. I think she'll be fine!! Thank God for that!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service