Grace, my 1 year old CoJack, has what appears to be an ear hemotoma. It is at the base of her ear flap and is about the size of a quarter. I have read that a vet can draw off fluid, but they usually do surgery to remove the blood and clot inside, then suture the ear.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Views: 233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My only experience is with a dog who did not have the hematoma tended to. His ear is now permenantely misshapen. I certainly would recommend that you have the surgery done so Grace can keep her pretty ears.
Most vets would draw out the fluid, then apply medication to the ear for inflammation and probably send you home with oral meds also. I have not heard of a vet doing the surgery on a hemotoma for the first time. If it reoccurs after treatment then your vet may recommend it. Pretty much the vet stitches the ear up like a quilt creating scar tissue so a hemontoma is not likely to return...=)
I did work for a vet years ago and have seen them. Generally they are seen more frequently on floppy eared dogs. We have had several lately that have come into rescue with malformed ears due to hematomas not being properly tended to. A hematoma is basically a wound that is within the tissue. An incision is made, the fluid is drained and the area inspected cleaned and sutured. Usually a dog will need an e-collar to give the ear proper time to heal without scratching.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service