I have been fostering Oscar for one week - he is improving on some of his behaviors, but he has about 4-5 spells a day where he incessantly chases his tail. He has a pretty good size nub - about 4" or so, and very fluffy, and it's driving him nuts.
I took him to the vet yesterday for a check up, and lyme and heartworm test, which were ok. She wonders if he is having phantom pain from his tail being docked. Apparently if the tail is removed after they are a certain age, it's almost like an amputation. The vet thinks it is too early with me to put him on medication, but I'm also considering a consultation with my holistic vet, Dr. Loops.
I try to calm and massage him when he comes out of one of these episodes because I feel so badly for him. If anyone has seen this behavior or has any suggestions, please let me know.

Views: 1549

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Obsessive tail chasing is a two-fold problem. First, it is just that obsessive. Sometimes medication is needed. Second, is the reason for the tail chasing. Do we know his background at all? It could be a simple need for walking exercise. It could be needing a "job" such as carrying a doggie backpack. Foremost, it's imperative that you break his focus when this happens. You can clap your hands loudly near him or something similar. Just something to break his focus. If it continues, I would suggest you find an animal behaviorist in your area. Trainers are great, but many of us do not have extensive experience in dog ethology. Good luck. This boy needs help. (Oh, and hugging him only reinforces the behavior.) And who in the world docked the poor boy's tail like that??? Ack!
Thanks for the response. I think it is obsessive as well, but the vet wants me to keep a log of this before we medicate. I'm not sure about when the tail was docked, etc. He does need alot of activity, and I'm still getting to know him, so I'm still figuring out how much.
It's really hard to break his focus when he's doing this - he chases it, and then rolls on his back - almost like it hurts or is itchy. I definitely didn't hug him, but once he stopped doing it, he lied near me (i was on the couch) and I did the Tellington T-Touch to him to calm him a bit, and it seemed to work because he lied down and rested for a while.
I started working with a trainer yesterday who is very experienced with behavior issues, and he seemed to respond pretty well, but he has a long way to go. Yes, he does need help, but I have a feeling if he doesn't make it in my home his future is uncertain.
Might be silly so suggest, but check for fleas/ticks too.
He may have a natural bobtail he was born with, which can be any length from almost no tail to a full-length tail. I can't imagine a breeder or even and unknowledgable owner docking a tail to 4 inches. Maybe... I guess stranger things have happened. Anyway I'm not buying phantom pain as a probably reason for obsessive tail-chasing.

I have heard that many dogs raised in small kennels like a puppy-mill environment, or with a neglectful owner who just crates the dog for most hours of the day, can develop an obsessive-compulsive "cirlcing" habit. It may have been the only way to get exercise, or the only allowable movement to do just out of pure boredom. Do you know the dog's background before rescue?

Anyway, he is probably doing it from some habit that developed in his former life. Lots of exercise, redirecting with obedience commands, love, and now being in a "normal" home environment will probably eventually rid or greatly decrease the habit.
I hope so - i do know that he was with the breeder for about his first 6 months - so I'm guessing you're right - he was in a neglectful situation and bored, and started doing this. He NEVER does it when he's outside playing or even hanging out, or on walks or in the kitchen - he only does it in the house living areas like the living room and bedroom, usually when things are quiet, or at bedtime.
I've seen this type of bobtail also, but the vet did say it looked like it definitely was docked because it had a bit of scarring on the end - but nothing worse than she had seen with other dogs of a similar age.
Well, if the tail was injured (slammed in a door, or bitten by another animal) at some point, it likely got infected and had to be amputated. That would add a bit of credence to the phantom pain theory. I still suspect the behavior is more habit.

Hopefully the behavior will subside on its own. I've heard quite a few "odd behavior" stories from rescue dogs, where the dog became perfectly wonderful and normal after a few short months in a good home.
I agree that this sounds like a behavior developed by being isolated and not having appropriate interactions, exercise or socialization. I think you will find the exercise helps lots. Perhaps taking an obedience class then going on to agility classes? A good refocus for this dog would help him tremendously. I also think that clicker training would really benefit this boy to redirect his behaviors. If he is like most corgis he can be redirected quite easily if a tasty treat is involved. Perhaps your trainer if familiar with clicker training. Dogs respond positively and quickly to this training. You would be amazed at the focus you will achieve. Good luck!
Thanks everyone - i totally think it's behavior. I'm very familiar with clicker training - both Oliver and Ruby were clicker trained and we're starting with Oscar at his next training session next Tuesday. Right now I'm working on some of the other issues with treats and rewarding him to stop doing some other behaviors. Also got a gentle leader, so working on our leash walks as well.
I already see him chilling out a bit - the last day or so, hope he can keep going in the right direction. Agility or fly-ball would be great for this guy because he is SO fast and agile. That's coming up - first obedience class in July, then some beginning agility after that I hope.
I'm so glad you're willing to help him. Most dogs with this type of obsessive behavior are sent to shelters and eventually euthanized because no one has the time or patience to help the dog overcome. Thank you! I'm thrilled you're working with a trainer who understands this behavior. It will be a big help. You'll have to keep us posted on how he's coming along.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service