We recently adopted our dog, Milo, from a foster parent and were told that he was pure bred corgi. Even though they state that the dog is pure bred on the website, because the rescuer saw the mother and father dogs when he was surrendered, Milo still doesn't appear to me as purbred. His stature is of corgi, but his face has a little bit of chihuahua in it. I am curious to see what everyone thinks here. Also what shape eye does a pure bred corgi have? Almond shaped, round shaped, etc? Thanks!

Views: 3479

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you have more pics? so far he does look a little chihuahua from the front.
Do you have more pictures? That could really help to figure out if he's a pure bred... he's adorable regardless :)
Only his DNA would tell you for sure. He does have many corgi characteristics however it is hard to discern his size in the picture. I am sure as he grows his features will help you figure out this puzzle. I can tell you that corgis run the gamut in appearance dependent on their heritage.
Yes, this is very true. You should wait till he starts growing more. From the picture he just looks like a black headed tri corgi pup to me. He could be a pem/cardi mix too.

Does it really matter though? I mean, you aren't going to give him away if it turns out he is not pure bred. Are you?
No, of course not. We love him regardless of his background. Just wanted to know what others thought because I am perplexed about this. Since I don't know where he came from, its a puzzle not solved. Thanks guys for commenting back! Its greatly appreciated!
He doesn't look all Corgi, but it is difficult to tell when so young! I also get the half tri-color Corgi half long-hair chihuahua vibe. The color is right for a tri-color Corgi. The head, unless it drastically changes as he grows up, is all wrong for a Corgi. The AKC Pembroke Corgi standard can be found at: http://www.akc.org/breeds/pembroke_welsh_corgi/index.cfm

The standard says:

"Eyes-Oval, medium in size, not round, nor protruding, nor deepset and piglike. Set somewhat obliquely. Variations of brown in harmony with coat color. Eye rims dark, preferably black. While dark eyes enhance the expression, true black eyes are most undesirable, as are yellow or bluish eyes."

Not being a purebred Corgi doesn't mean that he won't be an excellent pet! Often, mixed breeds make better pets than purebreds.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service