I saw this on another pet forum I frequent. I think it's a brilliant idea, especially for silly little herding doggies who hate having their nails clipped.

http://www.quickfinderclipper.com/

Has anyone tried them? I'm not a big fan of guillotine clippers myself, prefer the scissor style more. Cooper prefers just having his nails filed with an acrylic emory board.

Views: 362

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Carolyn,
What type of band were you using? Which dremel did you buy? Dog breeders, handlers, groomers, and owners have been using dremels for nails for decades because they are "easier" than using clippers. I can assure you that dremels not only do the job, but when used right, do the job better than crushing clippers do!

Many dog groomers I've known use dremels. Groomers are usually willing to show someone how to use something, so if your dogs breeder is not close enough for a dremel tutorial, see about a groomer who can show you how to us it! :)
I tried a dremel years ago with bad results (long hair- Puli- paws- bad combo) then I bought that Pedicure gizmo- I tell you I am loving this - I mean really loving this thing. I have 16 paws to work on- and 8 of those are squirmy puppy Puli paws.

I started out slow- morning treats with dremel running on the floor- then morning treat with dremel touching paws (just a little "petting" with the dremel) - then the easiest customer first (9 year old Ginny who *loves* attention of any kind and positively swoons when I bring out the grooming comb) - then Duff who was unsure but willing- then BB Puli puppy wild boy- once he realized that resistance was futile and there were treats after each paw then it was okay- Luverboy was the last and the most difficult- he's sweet but he's a wimp- he screams at his own shadow- the dremel lets me trim before he realizes what's happened. So, all in all it took about 2 weeks of desensitizing to the dremel and now I get trim nails in one session a week. Happy dog mom.
Where can I get this Dremel thing? At a pet store or elsewhere? Sid sure was mad at me after I clipped his nails, but even worse, I have a big lab/dane mix who is violently opposed to having his nails clipped. Maybe the Dremel will be easier for him. We walk on asphalt 4-5 days a week, for a couple miles at a time, and still Chester's nails are awful!
You can also get one from walmart or target.
plain dremel tools can cause problems with some breeds, but Peticure adds a guard to the end that helps protect from the spinning tip. Check the video here:

http://www.peticure.com/professional.html
Peticure is the one I bought- the guard makes all the difference. www.peticure.com

Ziska
Thanks, Julia and Sam!
I havent bought nail clippers, but we asked the vet to clip Chloe's nails. It was 12$! Is that a little too exspensive for a nail trim? Should I just take her to a groomer or buy clippers?
It sounds a little high to me, but it really depends on is it worth it to YOU not to have to go through the hassle yourself. For dogs that *really* hate it and it's a struggle each time...heck yeah, I could see where COULD be worth 12 bucks to have someone else do it for some people.

BUT... If your dog doesn't really go nuts and can be trained to sit still while you groom their feet (and most should be able to... I mean it's just eight little toesies...) then that would be a waste of money, in my opinion.
I was out one night about a week ago with my vet tech friend. Someone told her that her dog's nails had almost curled into its pads (poor dog). My friend said, "Bring him to the vet clinic. It's $10." So $12 doesn't sound way out of range.

I trim Charlie's nails back a tiny bit every weekend. Most of them wear down on our walks, but he has a few that grow a bit too long. A good pair of scissor-type or guillotine-type clippers cost $8-$12. You might want to have the vet or groomer show you how to do it yourself. It'll save you a lot of money over Chloe's lifetime.
Rosie is like exercist puppy when it comes to tail trims so I take her to the vet and she does it for $5.00. Paying $5.00 for a tail trim is worth it to me. George's nails are so small I can clip them with a pair of toe nail clippers. I used to do Rosie's that way when she a was a baby also.
I have the guillotine clippers and I use that along with one of those small portable beard trimmers. I have had really good luck with Sam so far, he doesn't mind me trimming his nails one bit and he isn't afraid of the clippers to cut the hair on his paws. He doesn't mind me touching his paws and when he lays next to me on the couch I am often rubbing his little footpads while he sleeps.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service