hey,
what do you all feed your adorable corgis?? I have tried several brands, including Merrick and Innova (not the cheap pet store brands) and they always seem to end up with diarrhea. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We've had this question asked so many times, I wonder if there is a way we can do a library of frequently asked questions to refer people to?

If you are thinking about dry food, I love Blue Buffalo for mine. They have different flavors and the rice and lamb seems to be really gentle on even the most sensitive tummies. I have my eldest, Sadie, on the weight control chicken flavor and my youngest, Rolo, on the puppy formula.

Recently, I accidentally switched the bowls (They look so similar without the bags *right there*) and gave Rolo, Sadie's food and Sadie, Rolo's food. Sadie wolfed it down like she always does (little miss piggie that she is) and Rolo went NUTS... for the first time since he was 10 weeks old, he took a real interest in eating. Usually he is the last one done, but this time he finished before Sadie did!

NOW... he doesn't want his puppy food. He wants SADIE'S food. Apparently it tastes MUCH better to him. I smelled them. Her's DOES smell more appetizing. All chickeny, while the puppy food smells... well... like dog food.

Maybe Blue realizes that diet food needs to appeal to the heavy eater and did that on purpose...I don't know... but now I have a 9 month old puppy that wants grown up food or nothing!

I called my vet who said he was familiar with both products and there is no reason Rolo can't have the adult version right now... even though he would judge each puppy on a case by case basis. Rolo's disinterest in food up til now had worried him a bit. He told me to just to give him more so he's getting the calories he needs. I've also been supplementing him with green beans and pumpkin and carrot treats. Rolo has been on the same food as Sadie now for two weeks and seems to be thriving... he's even starting to fill out a bit more... so he's not as skinny.

Weird... I guess each dog is like a human in that way. They metabolize food differently?

At least now my trips to PetSmart aren't *as* expensive all at one time... as they once were... and I have more room in my kitchen cabinet since I only have to have one dog food tub.
oh im sorry i guess i should've searched through these better... sorry! thanks for the help tho!
Don't feel bad... I couldn't find it EITHER :) I'm just glad that Sam's on the ball!
Here's one of the previous threads
You have to stick with ONE food brand. If you keep switching food it makes them sick. If you want to switch foods you take a little of the food that you have been feeding them before and mix it with the new stuff. Then slowly wean them off the old. But yeah just pick a brand and stick with it the diarrhea will stop eventually.
yeah i know they would be on the food for at least two months and i mixed it in with the old
Then just go with one brand. You might also think about something for sensitive stomachs if nothing else. I'm going to go with Iams pro active health for puppies. It's what my breeder feeds them and the ingredients list is a good one. Not much byproduct.
yeah that is a good idea, thanks so much!
Yogi's been on Eukanuba puppy since I brought him home at 8 weeks (he's 7 months now) and he's done well. He's only had diarrhea twice -- when I had him fixed at six months (I think it was the anesthesia) and this week because the temp spiked to 112 and he's not used to it. But it's back to normal today...
There are sensitive stomach brands out there... But one food you should not get is Nutro! No nutro at all. It has had many recalls and many corgis on here have gotten sick from it. I would do what Aloha said. You can use the brands that she listed, or we can give you some more ideas.
awesome thank you all so much! i am currently trying them on canidae... i wanted to try orijen but i live in texas and apparently they don't sell it here... thanks so much for the help!
My senior dog is on canidae (platinum for seniors) and he loves it. He's doing really well on it also.
The puppy is on Wellness puppy, and we'll be moving him to Wellness Ocean after this bag runs out. No tummy troubles at all on the Wellness.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service