Bailey has just turned two and he is a joy to have around but one thing that I have been dealing with since I got him as a puppy is his clingy-ness. I'm ok with him following me around when I'm at home but my problem is when I leave to go to work or run errands. I put him in his crate and he barks and whines, once I get home and let him out of his crate he is dripping wet from where he has been panting the whole time I was gone, I've tried to crate train him and he is fine until he hears my car start and then the barking and panting begins. I put his favorite bone and kong in the crate with him and he does not touch them. I know that he is stressed out because I'm not with him so I have tried to get him to be by himself more often to build his confidence by making him sleep by himself in the laundry room and giving him things to do like kongs stuffed with cheese and frozen peanut butter and his other chew toys but if I'm not in room with him he will not touch his toys. I don't know what to do to help Bailey be confident by himself. Since I have made him start sleeping by himself he will not sleep during the night at all, he just whines and pants at the door leaving a huge puddle of drool. Now he sleeps all day after using all his energy whining. I feel like I've tried all the tricks and nothing has worked. Does anyone have any advice for Bailey & I?

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ceasar Millan - How to Cope with Separation Anxiety

Separation anxiety is a common problem that canine caretakers encounter, because in nature, packs are almost never separated from their pack leaders. You can help make this unnatural situation less stressful for your dog by following these tips:

Go for a morning walk. After you have provided vigorous exercise, give your dog food and water. Some dogs will need to rest awhile before eating, but you can hydrate them immediately. Your goal is to leave your dog in quiet, resting mode when you leave.

No touch, no talk, no eye contact. Practice this rule when you leave and again when you return. By doing this, you are letting your dog know that your separation is not a big deal. For some dogs five minutes of "no touch, no talk, no eye contact" can solve the problem. For others, you may have to start practicing the rule an hour before you leave.

Say goodbye long before you leave. If you are having trouble practicing "no touch, no talk, no eye contact", take a moment to tell your dog how much you will miss him and share affection long before you actually leave. Remember, this display is for you -- not your dog! Your dog won't be hurt that you didn't kiss him goodbye before leaving for work.

Practice! Start out small; leave your dog alone for five minutes. Then the next time, expand the time to 20 minutes. Then an hour. Continue increasing the time until you can leave your dog alone for a full 8-hour business day.

Maintain calm-assertive energy. This is crucial! Don't feel sorry, nervous, or concerned. Project the confident energy of a pack leader. Let your dog know that everything is going to be alright.

By following these rules, you can help ease your dog into staying at home alone.
thanks for that information, i will certainly give it a try.
I would also try performing your morning "leaving" rituals and then not leaving. Get dressed, do everything normal and then get in your car and start it then turn it off and wait for him to stop barking. When he stops go back inside and go about your day! It's all about randomizing your routine so he doesnt think anything of it when you do something different.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service