Henry (my corgi cross love) has started scooting frequently. I took him to the vet on thursday, and she checked his anal glands and they were okay. Gave me a lecture on scooting for attention...
That evening Henry starting licking his rectum and scooting everytime he could. I gave him a benadryl because he has other spring time allergies and it helped a little. By Saturday his poor bumb was bright red and he refused to eat his breakfast. Sunday was about the same.
I went and purchased Instinct brand canned food, and Fromm kibble, just in case this IS an allergy. I suppose it's a wait and see game now? Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like anal glands to me. Are his stools hard? If so you may consider adding plain canned pumpkin to his food. This seems to have the ability to soften hard stools and firm up soft stools. In no way do I think this if for attention....shame on your vet. Something is bothering him...perhaps he is a tad constipated. If so the canned pumpkin should do the trick. Remember plain....not pumpkin pie filling!
Scooting is mostly anal glands or worms, so another vote here. You may want to shop for another vet for a second opinion.
Truly does sound like anal glands or worms. Great idea by Sam for the canned pumpkin. We've done that to dogs in our clan and it's been helpful. Have you noticed tapeworms in his stool? They look like little grains of rice. (One would assume the vet would have checked, but considering the way you were treated, I doubt it.)

After the plain canned pumpkin, I'd consider a different vet. Good luck....
No evidence of worms, but gave him the dront(whatever) dewormer anyway. Anal glands are okay per the vet's check. He's had cronic problems with anal glands and even though it wasn't an issue on this exam she now wants to surgically remove them. A second opinion sound wonderful at this time!

I did change his canned food to Instinct, and he's much better today... I've tried to find the canned pumpkin without results in this area (only pie filling appears to be available)... Maybe I should just grow my own and cook it up!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service