Tank has a problem with licking...Everything!!! Feet, legs, his paws, Gunni's face and ears, the couch, pillows, the floor, ect. He will do this endlessly. Does anyone else's corgi do this? I don't know how to make him stop.

Views: 155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, Lance licks alot too. When we first got him at 14 weeks he was soon licking our tv, the speaker part. I did get him to eventually stop licking that just by consistently saying no. He is now 2 1/2 and loves licking feet and hands. The other thing he loves to lick is our pillows we sleep on! I really dont know how to make it stop either.
The only time he has acess to them is when we put him on the bed with us. He loves licking our guest to death!
Our baby is now 6 months old and she has gone from BITING everything to now licking EVERYTHING!!!! Hands, Feet, floors and clothes..jeans especially. She may be licking uncontrollably but the way we see it , hey it's better than biting..lol
I hear that this is just something they do out of boredom. They aren't exercising or being challenged so they make outlets for this in different ways. Licking is one, and chasing their tails (or lack there of) is another.

No idea if this is actually the case here.
try the grannicks bitter apple spray - it can be sprayed directly on just about everything, including directly on his fur.

i just got a new puppy and am spraying the bitter apple on him to prevent my other corgi from chomping on his ears, neck, feet, etc.

it seems to work, but the spray evaporates and needs to be reapplied several times.
This is usually an anxiety based behavior. Just like in people some dogs are a tad anxious and feel the need to be doing something. Get yourself involved in some sort of training outlet....agility, clicker training, rally obedience. I am guessing if you have more outlets with your dog that expends energy and uses his probably very smart brain you will see a great reduction in the licking behavior.
Oliver, our Cavalier Spaniel, went through a "licky" phase for a while.... he would lick endlessly. Then as he got older, he switched to just doggy kisses, the lick-fests are rare. Roxy will lick toes and faces, but she hasn't gotten into the licking compulsion. You need to get Tank a t-shirt that says "I can't hold my licker." It'll explain things well :)
Hey! Scout and Bindi constantly lick everything too. I can't sit by them on the couch without getting a bath. I just tell them to stop (but they don't) and put them on the floor. I've been watching It's Me or the Dog on Animal Planet and she uses air spray (from computer stores) when dogs do not listen, so I think I'm going to try that.
If you find a way to get them to stop let me know please!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service