Hi, I'm not sure if this has already been asked (or if it is a silly question that I should know the answer to), but my trainer at PetsMart suggested that we do agility training (and maybe compete) with Triley because he has SO much energy and loves to run. So, I was wondering how to go about this? From other posts it looks like you take classes, but does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can find such classes? Triley is only 14 months old, so I know that he shouldn't be doing full aglity yet, but I'd like to get him started so that he'll be ready when he is old enough. We live in DC, so if you have any local suggestions that would be even better! Thanks!

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would do a google search for dog club/training in your area. Start visiting some of the places that offer agility training. See how the folks interact with their dogs. Talk to some of the students. You may also visit the "infodog" website and see if you can locate AKC Agility trials in your area. A good place to see what agility is all about and possibly find a recommendation for a good class. Agility is great fun and a wonderful way to build a terrific bond with your dog as well as use his physical and mental energies. I so enjoyed agility training with my dogs. It is addictive!
I would like to know about agility also. The school we were going to closed because the owners retired. There is another one in my area, but they train dogs in a way that I find to be unacceptable. Rosie loves agility and now that she seems to be doing well after her bout with Pano I would love to slowly reintroduce her to agility. In my area it appears that you must be part of a club and/or training school to enter your dog in an event.
You do not have to be a member of a club or training facility but most competitors are. The reason being that they know the involved training that is involved to continue the much needed practice that is involved in the ever popular spot of agility. There is lots to learn from those that compete regularly. I encourage you to find a good training facility. I dont think you will be sorry.
Contact your breeder or a breeder who is involved in Agility and ask what kind of jumps your dog can handle at what ages. You have to be very careful while having a dog so young! Good luck!
I have been told that you must wait until the dog's growth plates are fused which is usually around 18 months old. Until then you corgi can to several of the other agility things such as the weave poles, tunnel, etc.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service